Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
BOTM 07/09
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can still remember the events as they unfolded on September 11, 2001.

I was woken up a little bit after 9 a.m. by my phone ringing. It was my mom, telling me turn the TV on to see what is going on. I remember only a few channels working and told her I would call her back when I heard what happened. After watching the local news and hearing that a plane hit the WTC I instantly though that it was a small plane that had lost control and crashed in to the WTC.

As the TV played I went to take a shower and by the time I came out, the news was stating that another plane hit the WTC. A sickening feeling came over me and I called my mom back. She was working in the city that day and called to let her know that another plane had hit. I remember my mom calling me back and telling me that one of the towers had fell. I went to my roof and looked towards Manhattan and seeing smoke rising in to the air.

By this time my sister and father were awake and we were watching the news. My mom stated that the subway system was shut down and could not come home. I prayed for everyone who passed away, and those who were affected. It did not feel like it was real, more like a nightmare would be the best way to describe it.

I decided to take a walk around the neighborhood. Very few people were walking/driving. I went to the local store and purchased a newspaper and went back home. Seeing that I live right by a Major bridge, all I heard were emergency vehicles going over the bridge towards Manhattan. As night came, the air had an odor that i have never smelled before and never have since.

People had set memorials and filled large walls with posters and flyers of familys/friends looking for their loved ones. Candles burned, people looked to each other for comfort during this difficult time. The news had aired a number for people to call who were willing to help in the search and rescue efforts. I kept calling till my fingers started to hurt from calling so much.

Seeing that I work nights, I noticed that the "WTC Lights" had been turned on. I paused and prayed for all those who passed away on 9/11. The events that occurred on 9/11 are etched in to my mind. My prayers go out to the family's of the people who passed away on 9/11.

We will never forget.

·
Fabulous Disaster
327 Posts
I can still remember the events as they unfolded on September 11, 2001.

I was woken up a little bit after 9 a.m. by my phone ringing. It was my mom, telling me turn the TV on to see what is going on.
Wow, that's creepy. That's the exact same way my day started. It was one of the few times in my life where I had partied too hard the night before and couldn't drag my butt out of bed to get to work. I actually called in sick and went back to bed. I didn't pick up the phone, but heard my mom on the ans machine saying "You should turn the tv on. Something happened at the World Trade Center." I remember lying there thinking 'How bad could it be?' But I decided to roll over and turn the tv on. At that time the second plane hadn't hit yet so myself along with most were thinking, 'wow what a terrible accident' when all of a sudden BOOM, plane 2 hit. At that point I knew that this was no accident. At the time I lived in Fair Lawn, NJ. For those who don't know, that's about a 20-30 minute drive to the WTC. I spent the rest of the day getting in touch with everyone I knew just to make sure they were ok. I even called an exgirlfriend that I hadn't spoken to in a year because I knew she went to NYU just to check on her. I was very lucky, and my family and friends were all safe. The closest one to tragedy was my uncle. He worked for a security firm in the WTC at pretty much the point of impact of the second plane. He just so happened to be running late that day and was on a city bound train from NJ when he heard the news and was able to get off and jump on a return train back home. He lost almost all of his coworkers. He was retired NYPD and returned later to the city to help in the recovery effort. I was able to rally a bunch of people after being turned down by Red Cross because they had too many volunteers, and we took the train in on the 12th. We got as close to ground zero as we could right next to a spot where emergency vehicles were going in and out. We hit up a couple of local stores and bought as much bottled water as we could carry and stayed there for hours tossing water to all the exhausted rescue and emergency personnel that were exiting the site, as well as joining the crowd in cheers and applause for all their hard work and dedication. Sorry for the mile long post, but I remember that day like it was yesterday. I grew up with those buildings and to watch them fall, felt like a piece of me died. I will never forget 9/11/01 and forever thank all the emergency personnel that selflessly gave their lives trying to save others. You hear the word "hero" thrown around a lot, but those men and women exemplify the term and will never be forgotten.

·
Fabulous Disaster
327 Posts
I'm kind of surprised. I know it was 7 years ago, but I really thought more than 2 people would share something about 9/11. Oh well, I guess the day's not over yet.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
yeah i was on terminal leave from the military.
i was getting out, i was done, i was across the country from the base i was leaving visiting my parents.

my mom woke me up and i turned on the tv.
it was only about 30 mins until i got the dreaded call telling me i was stop lossed.
i packed my bags and pulled my uniforms out of the "goodwill" bag and bought a plane ticket back. so much for doing nothing and growing my hair long. i just hit 15 years in now and reenlisted until retirement.

so yeah sept 11 changed my life just a bit

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was in Australia. I was a Marine stationed aboard a naval ship, and we pulled into port. While drinking in a bar, I was told to return to ship by an off duty Staff Sergeant. I didn't think much of it until I stepped outside the bar and saw thousands of Marines and Saliors scrambling down the streets back toward the ships. We returned to the news of the days events. I found myself on a non stop course to Afghanistan...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I was in Australia. I was a Marine stationed aboard a naval ship, and we pulled into port. While drinking in a bar, I was told to return to ship by an off duty Staff Sergeant. I didn't think much of it until I stepped outside the bar and saw thousands of Marines and Saliors scrambling down the streets back toward the ships. We returned to the news of the days events. I found myself on a non stop course to Afghanistan...

I was in French class, but what you said^^^^ Sounds like something you would see in a movie.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah it was a very powerful sight... something I will never forget. I wasn't here in the states for another 6 or 7 months... I never got to experience what was going on in America at the time. I obviously had my own uniqe experience.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had just gotten off duty and my wife woke me up after the first plane hit. I saw the second plane hit live on TV. still brings a chill thinking about it.
I didnt take leave to go home to NY until december of that year but when i was going up there every overpass, building, construction crane or any thing you could hang a flag on, had a flag on it. sure isnt like that now.

the 9 11 ceremony on base today was so small they shouldnt have even had one. How quickly we forget

·
Registered
216 Posts
i remember i was a senior in high school, it was about 7 am here in california... saw the re runs as the teacher turned on the news channels that day! later that year, enlisted in the army as an infantry men, did my 4 years an jsut recently got out...i feel like i did my service for my country... rip those we lost on 911 an the men an women who fought after overseas..

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was a Senior in HS, I first heard about it when I was in class, some students stating a plane hit the WTC and saying the pentagon was on fire. I immediatly was like yeah right, somebody is making up a horrible joke, well by the time next class rolled around somebody else said the same thing, and the teacher confirmed that another airplane hit the other tower. at that point the next class came and that teacher wanted to be updated on the event that were unrolling. so he turned on the Tv in the room to a news channel and the whole class watched the news in horror, seeing America was under attack.

My prayers go out to the lost and family's.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Copied from a thead I started on another message board...

I think everyone remembers what they were doing when it went down. I was just leaving my EMS job, on my way to my Emergency Management job. I had a gravy assignment that day. We had all our equipment on display for the public at the City Fairgrounds. We were just there to answer questions and show people that we were prepared for the next big emergency, (We had a large tornado come through in '98 that gave us a budget upgrade)

I was on my motorcycle, so I didn't hear the news, but, when I arrived at the fairgrounds, PD had secured our area from the public. I didn't know why, but I inzipped my jacket far enough for the officer to see my badge and rode into our area. We have a converted bus that we use as a mobile command center, and all my coworkers were sitting there staring at the TV. I came in just before the second plane hit.

I spent the next few days preparing my USAR team to go to NYC, but we never went. I guess that it was good that my involvement was minimal at best, but we all really wanted to go help. My wife left work and donated blood as they still thought there would be survivors at the time.

I remember, when the first tower went down, thinking how many brother Public Safety workers must have been inside, and the fact that they went in when everyone else was running out.

It is not just a saying. I didn't even know anyone personally that was killed, but I will never forget.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I was in tech class in high school. They werent letting us watch TV but word was spreading around the school that someone had blown up the twin towers. Fortunately I was in the class with free use of computers. I dont think i really understood what i was seeing when we gathered around the computer and saw the video on news sites. To be honest I wasn't familiar with the WTC. When I got home from school though and saw that every single last one of the couple of hundred channels on my TV was covering it, it all started to sink in how big this was. It was almost a turning point in life where you realize the world isnt warm and fuzzy. That's something you are supposed to figure out as a kid when your pet dies but it doesn't always gain meaning until later. I only wish the communion we had as a nation for the weeks following that could have lasted forever. United we stand was the most true then than any of us will probably ever know it again.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
That was one of the most unsettling days Ive ever felt in my life. You know how somehow you just have this gut wrenching feeling? I live on the west coast and I swear even around my town (Santa Barbara,CA) you could see it on peoples faces...literally utter disbelief and a feeling a emptiness that overtakes you knowing there is nothing you can do...no one was really talking about it, everyone was just watching to tv's looking at eachother not knowing what to say...then came the anger...

·
BOTM 07/09
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was talking to a co-worker while at work tonight about where he was during the attack. He was woken up by his wife screaming, told me that when he found out it felt like someone stabbed him through his heart.

He knew someone who was killed in tower 1. They had worked together some years back, and the guy went back to his original craft, which was a carpenter. Since tonight was a more or less slow night at work I walked out to this open area and looked at the lights they had set up as a memorial. It was an eerie feeling watching the lights shoot up right in to the clouds.

·
BOTM 07/09
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm kind of surprised. I know it was 7 years ago, but I really thought more than 2 people would share something about 9/11. Oh well, I guess the day's not over yet.
I was thinking the same thing man.....

·
BOTM 07/09
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess I was right about the day not being over yet. Thanks man for starting this thread. I think it's important to honor those who gave their live so selflessly to help others on that tragic day.

I had to man :wave:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts