Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Rusted Hood
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 03 600rr..when im running at about 55-60 and let off the handlebars they start shaking badly..bikes never been wrecked so i dont know what to do about it..help a noob out :wave:

D

·
0 Posts
Is there a steering stabilizer on the bike? If not that could be why. Also, have you touched the suspension settings recently?

·
Registered
67 Posts
have u put aftermarket barends on it??? have u messed with any of the plastic??? if u have aftermarket barends.. put bb's in the clipon to dampen it..

D

·
0 Posts
have u put aftermarket barends on it??? have u messed with any of the plastic??? if u have aftermarket barends.. put bb's in the clipon to dampen it..
Barends wont mess with the steering and make the front shake.

·
Registered
67 Posts
yes they will... it happend on my buddys fzr... his stock barends were steel and he bought the cheap fake carbon fiber ones and it made his vibrate bad..we done the bb thing and fixed it..

D

·
0 Posts
yes they will... it happend on my buddys fzr... his stock barends were steel and he bought the cheap fake carbon fiber ones and it made his vibrate bad..we done the bb thing and fixed it..
Vibrations is one thing, bars shaking back and forth making the bike wobble is another.
Lighter barends don't always make more vibrations in the bars either.

·
Rusted Hood
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope...havent messed with suspension...or plastics. only thing is i dont have barends.the bike was missing one when i bought it and i took the other one off when i put new grips on..been meaning to replace them but havent got around to it

D

·
0 Posts
No steering stabilizer? I'd bet that would be why. How does the bike feel at those speeds with your hands on?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The lack of bar end's sounds like the problem, I'd put some good weighted ones on (bb's in them etc) and I bet you'll see an improvement.

I don't think the lack of steering stabilizer is an issue, I'm the odd ball down my way with one on. I've ridden bikes without them at vaious speeds and never noticed a bad shake, especially between 55 and 60.

Now, you most certainly can get bad shakes without a stabilizer but not typically from riding a smooth line at 55... correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers :wave:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Get a new front tire. Every now and then when I come to a stop, I let go of the bars while just engine braking and at the same speed everytime, the bars would shake on me too. I had the right tire pressure and my tire didn't look too bad ( just a very little cupping in the tread) but new tire and everything was great again.

I know that taking off the wheel and putting it back on can reallign something that was out but sreiously, it was the tire.

Your tire will last you for a while longer, there is really no safety issue with a halfway worn out tire. But if you want to let go of the bars, it becomes a safety issue. I'm just saying if you can't afford a new tire right now, I wouldn't stop riding.... just hold on all the time.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
No steering stabilizer? I'd bet that would be why. How does the bike feel at those speeds with your hands on?

Sounds like that is correct.
It can get really bad (tank slapper), next thing you know your sliding down the road on your arsss.. and then going to get some skin graphs. THat sux.

Steering damper is like an airbag. You don't think you need one.
But, when the time comes, you'll be thankfull you DO have one.

D

·
0 Posts
Steering damper is like an airbag. You don't think you need one.
But, when the time comes, you'll be thankfull you DO have one.
Cannot get any truer then this. I'm thankful for my HESD every day I hit the highway or various roads in Florida. It has saved me too many times to count.

·
Rusted Hood
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
looks like i will be purchasing a dampner...they dont shake until i let off the bars at around 60..lower speeds it doesnt shake

D

·
0 Posts
That would definitely be a damper issue. Since there is no longer any pressure holding the wheel straight, the front will want to turn where the road wants it to go.

·
Registered
122 Posts
this same **** just started happening to me on my 07rr.. I think i agree with the tire thing as mine is getting bald. dont know how this could cause the shke though

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
this same **** just started happening to me on my 07rr.. I think i agree with the tire thing as mine is getting bald. dont know how this could cause the shke though
I don't know the physics behind the tire wear and why the bars would shake. But I've only had the one instance and I believe the new tire fixed the prob. The bike felt a lot better with the new tread.

However, I'm can not guarantee that a new tire would fix the problem. But if it didn't used to shake and now it does. Then it used to be fine and now it's not. Then what has changed? Just new tire to worn tire.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Go get the front tire balanced first to see if its out of balance. A unbalanced wheel will make a heck of a shake!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Why does everyone seem to think that a steering stabilizer is necessary in order to not have shaking in the handlebars? How come by stock '04 can ride smooth and straight at 60 mph without one?

Even if you put a steering stabilizer on and it gets rid of the shaking, the problem that was causing it in the first place will still be there. The safest solution is definitely to fix whatever is causing the wobble.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Why does everyone seem to think that a steering stabilizer is necessary in order to not have shaking in the handlebars? How come by stock '04 can ride smooth and straight at 60 mph without one?

Even if you put a steering stabilizer on and it gets rid of the shaking, the problem that was causing it in the first place will still be there. The safest solution is definitely to fix whatever is causing the wobble.

If the problem is a worn tire. ( not worn out) Then there are 3 solutions.
New tire
Don't let go of the bars
Dampener

I would recommend a dampener only cause I've had a couple tank slappers however, I never crashed. If it solves the problem of a cupped tire making the bars shake and prevents tank slappers. I'd go with the Dampener.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts