Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A nice 70 degree day (rarity here) so me an my buddy got back from a mini road trip, i was riding all friday night, even through the fog at 3 am then i left it out overnight. The next day we put it in my buddies apartment and leave it all day. So then this morning i bring it out and it just kicks over and dies. Tried again nothing, gave it a second then tried the starter for like 10 seconds and it just wouldn't turn over. Repeated that about 3 times waiting about a minute each time and no go. Finally we were yanking the gas and trying to start it and it kicked over and smoked pretty bad out the pipe. Waited a m minute, tried again and got it to idle. Then i let it run for aabout 45 seconds and tried giving it some gas. It went up to 5k and died. WTF!! So then i started once more and let it idle for a minute then its been fine since. Any ideas what would have caused that?

·
Banned
433 Posts
maybe...the warm weather then cool weather (out over night) caused some condensation in the tank...water in the tank. You should fill the tank up before letting the bike cool down to prevent it from getting condensation.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Mianus, sorry to hear about your troubles. I just had my bike serviced when I was riding home and the oil light came on and my bike died. It started back up and rode home but wasn't able to ride on this beautiful day as the service department was closed and I want to play it safe...

Question is this, does anyone know if bad gas can cause the oil light to come on? I know my old BMW Check Engine light used to come on from bad gas...

Thanks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If it was a foggy night I'd say water in the tank was definitely the problem. Condensation will form on the inside exposed surfaces of the tank like Mordeth said. And water is more dense than gas so it will sink to the bottom and be the first think the sump picks up. That would explain why you had to crank on it for a while before it finally started up. Mordeth is also right about the solution. Fill your tank up and there won't be any surface area for condensation to form.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts