Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am going to the dragstrip next week. (I know the RR is not a drag bike). I am just going to mess around and see what i can do. I plan on taking it easy since this will be my first time. I had a question about shifting. I have 2 different methods I use for fast shifts. I am not sure if either of them is proper.

The first is to completely let of the gas and shift without the clutch then back on the gas hard. I especially do this from 1st- 2nd as i figure that chance of looping is next to none. This seems to work pretty good but i notice i lose some speed and the wieght transfers forward a little when off the gas. I just finished reading some posts though and they said i only need to close it a tiny bit? Like a blip? Is there any danger of looping the bike with this method in shifting to 1st- 2nd at redline?

The second method is the keep the bike at WOT the whole time. I just blip the clutch and shift. This method feels faster but it also feels alot more violent. The bike seems to lurch forward when the clutch is released. I don't have the cajones to try this method from 1st-2nd. Like i said its rather violent and i am worried the bike will loop. Can this method safely be used for 1st-2nd shifts? Should this method be used at all?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking to break any land speed records, but i would like to run somewhere in the 11's by the end of the day. (it's a private rental 12 guys with cars and myself, and we have the track for 6 hours so i have lots of time to take it slow.

THANKS!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
When you're on the start line, and before the lights turn green, shift all the way to 6th gear.
Then when the light turns green you just have to rip the throttle open.
That way you don't have to shift at all all the way to the finish line!:tongue11:

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
clutchless shift every gear, that sthe fastest way, other than that get that thing that does it for u, i cant remember the name right now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Clutchless shifting is the best. Less wear on the clutch and you do not disrupt your suspension as you're accellerating down the track.

·
TurtlesScout
775 Posts
i do the clutch blip i think i go first to 11k second 95k thired 9k drag out 4th and 5th and get in 6th.... those are the the number i think i do... only by sound to fast to actually watch the cluster

·
19,904 Posts
dynoshifter, yes, thats it...

·
Registered
149 Posts
clutchless shifting is easy enough if you practice it, just like in any manual transmission, actually easier than other manuals. just match the engine speed to the tire speed and shift.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually i am pretty good at clutchless shifting. Just wasn't sure if there was a faster way. I didn't realize i didn't have to close the throttle so much. I will try it out tomorrow when i get my bike back.

·
19,904 Posts
the problem wiht number 2, id imagine is keeping the front wheel down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When you're on the start line, and before the lights turn green, shift all the way to 6th gear.
Then when the light turns green you just have to rip the throttle open.
That way you don't have to shift at all all the way to the finish line!:tongue11:

i dont think he will make it anywhere near the 11's with that one...lol.. but deff. wont loop it that way

·
Balky Bartokomous
834 Posts
clutchless shift every gear, that sthe fastest way, other than that get that thing that does it for u, i cant remember the name right now.
Is that bad for the bike though? Ive been riding for seven years and I just tried it the other day for the first time. Seems like it would do damage...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts