Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it's not a trouble/issue I was hesitant to post it here, but oh well. Figured it was something that I needed to know.

So let's say I'm riding like normal:
(shift down to first)
*clunk*
(shift up to second)
*clunk*
(etc etc etc)

But I notice when I coast in Neutral for a bit, the *clunk* is WAY worse/jarring when I shift:
(shift to N)
*coast for a bit*
(shift down)
CSHLUNK!!! (bike wretches a bit, too)

Why is this? I almost hate going to Neutral now unless I'm at a stop because it feels pretty jarring and I'm (ignorantly) worried I'm doing something damaging.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
its normal, its your transmision not being in sync with your engine.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
dont coast in neutral not really a great thing for your transmission.... its ok once and awhile but just use engine braking and slowly come to a hault

·
Registered
354 Posts
I know what you are referring to. I get the same thing as does everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When downshifting, R u blipping the throttle a bit before u release clutch?
Nope. I thought that, too. I went into N, disengaged the clutch, coasted, shifted SCHKLUNK!! Went into N, kept the clutch engaged, coasted, shifted SCHKLUNK!!Did it a third time, but this time I rev'ed a little bit. Same result.

So okay, if this happens to everyone and is "normal", then is it something bad? Seriously, it sounds horrid.... I got no qualms with NOT coasting in N (I only did every great once in awhile if I was adjusting a glove or stretching as I coast to a stop) so that's not a problem, but I'm curious as to the mechanical effects it's having/has had on the tranny..

·
Registered
57 Posts
mine seems to do it louder when im nearing my next oil change interval but i notice it all the time

·
Registered
60 Posts
rev matching helps a ton and the 1-2 shift seems really harsh on all these bikes i hate it but just learn to make it as smooth as possible usually by being quick it can be avoided

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
The clunk is the dogs engaging as you shift. When they engage the counter shaft either speeds up or stops abruptly, depending on if you are stationary or moving.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
neutral is bad if your going faster than what the transmission is able to do. But yea your all good just quit shiftin to neutral and coasting not a great habit to have in general

·
Registered
868 Posts
When coasting try going in 2nd unless you've come 2 a complete stop.....
Pretty much this

If you end up in n shift back to 2ND let out the clutch and then back down to first. While rolling

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
37 Posts
Why would you ever wanna Coast on a streetbike? That takes the fun out of riding if you ask me.(; The Only time I'm ever in neutral is at a stoplight so i don't have to hold the clutch in.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Why would you ever wanna Coast on a streetbike? That takes the fun out of riding if you ask me.(; The Only time I'm ever in neutral is at a stoplight so i don't have to hold the clutch in.
Just be careful about that, make sure there is at least one car behind you before you put it in neutral. If there is no car behind you, and someone doesn't see you and is about to run into you, you need to be into gear so you can get off to the side of the road FAST. But once there is at least one car behind you, then its okay to click into neutral.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ahh. Thanks for the advice! I never thought about that. I've seen videos where Dumb*** drivers weren't paying attention and hit bikes from behind, I just never really applied it to my riding style. I'll make sure to be more aware. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had the same problem. If im driving and i see a red light, i light to coat in neutral the 1/3 of a mile to the stop with no hands. If the light turns green and i put it in 1st going any faster than 4 or 5 mph it will make that awful clunk, but if i give the bike a nice twist of the throttle, roughly 6-7 grand, and put it in 2nd instead it will go in nice and smooth.

I assume because of the tranny and engine sync. I cant imagine that the clunc is not bad for the bike, so i always put it in 2nd and then if i need power ill just downshift into 1st.

·
Registered
267 Posts
you should not be coasting in N.... stop doing it... clunk problem solved.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts