Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an issue with my shift lever. When I am under heavy acceleration from a stop position in 1st, I up shift to 2nd then I try to shift into 3rd gear but my shifter moves up higher and is out of reach. I can't reach it with my foot still on the peg.

The only way to fix it is to down shift and push it back into place when going into 2nd.

I have tightened all of the hardware on the actual shift assembly but it continues to do it.

What is happening? Has this happened to anyone else?

Attached is the picture of a shift lever assembly for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
860 Posts
is this a new problem? is the lever adjusted cirrectly?

sounds like the shift lever is not returning to its rest position. this could be a broken return spring.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
is this a new problem? is the lever adjusted cirrectly?

sounds like the shift lever is not returning to its rest position. this could be a broken return spring.
There isn't a return spring. The position of the lever is dictated by the position of the shift drum. A broken detent would be unlikely to cause these issues, the lever would flop around all over the place.

Make sure all the heim joints move freely. They are at the top and bottom of the shift rod

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
The spring pictured isn't exactly a 'return spring' though the name isn't important.

For the lever to hang up as stated something would have to be binding, A broken spring would make it all floppy

Edit... Never mind you're right. The spring pictured will zero the ratcheting mechanism, which the lever is attached to. Though I still doubt that is the issue

·
Registered
860 Posts
I agree it's unlikely, hence "could"..... and the spring I meant was the detent spring. As the detent star is irregular this could affect one gear more than others.

If the problem were the ball joints would it not be apparent at every gear change? Maybe the joints need replacing.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The above suggestions are worth looking into.

Probably not it but I'll throw it out there:
The parts in your picture look pretty dirty. It's important that you keep these parts clean.
Over time the dirt can grind away part of the material and create unwanted play/movement in the assembly before it actually moves the transmission to the next gear.

When mounted look at how far up and down you can move the linkage assembly before it tries to move the shaft sticking out of the transmission.
As mentioned check the ball joints for play and since you're in that area check the lever your foot touches and the bolt that holds it on for play as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found and fixed the issue... My bike was missing a bolt for the kick stand assembly. It was only being held on my one bolt causing it to rotate under WOT. It was hard to find from the large amount of build up of old grease and oil from the chain. Every thing is clean and tighten and ready to ride!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
hehe wow...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The shift lever is bolted to the kick stand assembly. The kick stand didn't move when the bike is parked. The kick stand is at an enough angle that it doesn't have enough force and moment to cause the assembly to rotate around the remaining bolt.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
no it's not. the shift lever is bolted into the block or frame (can't remember which)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts