Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Macho Office Monkey
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK OK How many out there....I was having a disussion with somone at work about skip shifting. I do it all the time on my rr street riding why go 1-2-3-4-5-6 when you can basically go 1-3-6 even 1-4-6in most cases? Is this bad for your bike? I have done it with vehicles and have done it with my bike for over a year now. It does not hurt anything does it. The dude at work has been riding alot longer than me and seems to have the assumption that your supposed to go gear to next gear. I also (being carfull not to lock up the rear) downshift more than one gear at a time as well. May sound sort of noobish but now I am curious hmmmmmmmm:tard:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Its fine, when the situation arrises I jump a few gears now and then.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
whats the point of 6 gears if you dont go thru all of them and come back down.
thats just retarded, i love shifting gears... ive gone from 1 THRU TO 6 from stoplight to stop light and back down just because its so much fun.

·
Macho Office Monkey
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whats the point of 6 gears if you dont go thru all of them and come back down.
thats just retarded, i love shifting gears... ive gone from 1 THRU TO 6 from stoplight to stop light and back down just because its so much fun.

Thats not my point...My point is if your going from stop light to stop light why shift 6 times unless your trying to haul ass? If you shift 6 gears from a stop light to a stop light that are say a few blocks a part what rpms are you shifting at 4000. Why not wind it up a bit in first to around 9000 and then throw it into forth? I think its more fun to really know your hgears and the most efficiant way to ride. I think its retarded to go from 1st to 6th actually between stop lights and I think most would agree sorry dude

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
Thats not my point...My point is if your going from stop light to stop light why shift 6 times unless your trying to haul ass? If you shift 6 gears from a stop light to a stop light that are say a few blocks a part what rpms are you shifting at 4000. Why not wind it up a bit in first to around 9000 and then throw it into forth? I think its more fun to really know your hgears and the most efficiant way to ride. I think its retarded to go from 1st to 6th actually between stop lights and I think most would agree sorry dude
because its fun to shift clutchlessly and quickly without the clutch at ridiculously low rpms and then shift all the way back down...

winding it up attrcts unwanted attention, shifting 12 times in 200m makes people say "damn, how many times is he going to shift"

asll while im grinning ear to ear in my little round world affixed to me head.

·
Registered
996 Posts
No skipping gears here. I have done it on my 2-stroke dirt bike downshifting, but never on the street. I don't think it will hurt the bike, but I don't see any benefit in doing it.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Skipping gears doesn't really make sense to me. You'd would be in the wrong gear if you skip. Your wasting the bikes power doing this I think. I mean it won't hurt anything but kinda defeats the purpose of getting a race replica. But don't downshift two gears without a slipper this could be dangerous.

·
Macho Office Monkey
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clutchless shifting I understand thats easy and quick and not much work at all. I normally (city riding) use my clutch mainly becuase of habit and also because I like the clutch feeling of engaging. I guess I may get flamed so let the flaming begin LOL

·
Macho Office Monkey
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Skipping gears doesn't really make sense to me. You'd would be in the wrong gear if you skip. Your wasting the bikes power doing this I think. I mean it won't hurt anything but kinda defeats the purpose of getting a race replica. But don't downshift two gears without a slipper this could be dangerous.

Ok here your reasoning for skip shifting. Scenerio two stop lights about 1/4 of a mile from eachother.
A. You can shift from 1-2-3-4-5-6 all at around 400 rpms I would bet

or

B. You can let er up to 7000-8000 RPMS actually feel some of the bikes power in first and shift into 4th and cruise nicly to the next light and also only have to shift down a few gears in seted of 6.

I love shifting from 1 thru 6 getting on the freeway or main road its great but it seems like overkill to shift 1-2-3-4-5-6 in a 1/4 mile

·
Registered
484 Posts
???????? Blip it bud.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Don't see the point to shift so much or for me to skip? Just curious cause no one seems to be getting what i am saying here lol
lol, do you drive an automatic or shift car? My guess is an automatic. Real drivers drive shift LOL. j/k

why rev the hell out in first if you are then going to coast in lets say 4th? I rather just go smoothly by the gears, the power band in all of them just in case i need to do a fast movement. Just my 02 c

·
Macho Office Monkey
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol, do you drive an automatic or shift car? My guess is an automatic. Real drivers drive shift LOL. j/k

why rev the hell out in first if you are then going to coast in lets say 4th? I rather just go smoothly by the gears, the power band in all of them just in case i need to do a fast movement. Just my 02 c

I hear ya but i am not reving the piss out of her. I am talking geting up to around 35mph in fist then shifting to like forth to lower the r's and smoth er out. Going from 0-75 yeah i am shifting through all gears. As for an automatic vehicle I drove a stick as my first vehicle when i turned 16 and then had another stick after that. Currently I dont have a manual mainly because I do alot of city driving and its fun for a while but not so much in traffic

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Dude, I totally hear what youre saying. I think these other guys are just giving you ****. What I do sometimes out riding in town, sitting at a light, when it changes I will get on it hard in first. When I am about 10 mph or so over the speed limit, I will back off the throttle, pull the clutch in, and shift directly into third, and then cruise with traffic. No reason to go to second gear when i'm already at a higher rpm. So yeah, I know what you mean. Getting on a freeway though, I use them all.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I do the same thing you do CHAD and mechanically you DONT have to go each gear at a time it will not harm any vehicle to skip a gear. I do the same cause like u say when your just toodling around town stop sign at a time or lights that are kinds close why rev it up, use more fuel, attract attention like said before, for what a little thrill for a second. The trannys are so close that i thought it wasnt upshifting when i first rode the bike before i bought it. When im just cruising i go 1 3 5 6 ill save my fun for the twisty mountain roads and not the stop and go in between the traffic lights in town!!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Use the correct gear for the speed you're doing. If that means sitting in third and not even getting up to 6th, then sit in third.

You never know when some blind f*ckwit cager is going to try and drive over the top of you, and if you're sitting in a gear 3-4 gears too high, you're in a less able position to get the hell out of there.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts