Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem started happening this weekend and I have no idea what the issue is. I was getting on the freeway accelerating at full throttle in first gear, when I went to shift into second gear, at about 15K, it got stuck in neutral. I then tried to shift from neutral into second and the gears made a weird sound and the shift lever started to vibrate violently. The same sound and vibrating happened when trying to shift back into first.

This again happened twice tonight when I was going home from work. I accelerated very hard and around 15k I shifted and it wouldn't go past neutral. Again the vibrating and noises were identical as to the earlier situation. I then went to a very straight and non frequented road and accelerated hard and shifted. It felt like it went all the way through to second this time but then popped back into neutral. In all the scenarios I pulled up on the shifting lever pretty hard. Sorry for the book but I'm fairly new to motorcycles and don't know where to start looking for a problem. I did a search to but couldn't find anything that related. I ride an 08 600rr with about 7400 miles.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Dude, #1 why the hell are you shifting your bike at 15k? At that point in first gear you've run past the optimum torque curve and your just revving the piss out of the engine. These bikes have constant mesh trannys. Ive notice they tend to get out of sync and hard to shift if you shift up past about 12. Chill out on that bike man, if you keep riding it like that you're gonna wind up blowing it up or killing your stupid @$$. :spank::spank:

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Dude, #1 why the hell are you shifting your bike at 15k? At that point in first gear you've run past the optimum torque curve and your just revving the piss out of the engine. These bikes have constant mesh trannys. Ive notice they tend to get out of sync and hard to shift if you shift up past about 12. Chill out on that bike man, if you keep riding it like that you're gonna wind up blowing it up or killing your stupid @$$. :spank::spank:

I have to dissagree with you grady,, the bike makes peak power ar 14,500 rpm so this is where it is optimal to shift, plus the bike has an over-rev of 500 rpm to allow for later shifts if you are racing and need to stay in a gear just that little bit longer to shave that extra 10th of a second off the lap time..

And I don't think you will ever blow up the honda engine bringing it up to redline,, that is what they are made to do.,, if you are bouncing it off the rev-limiter for an hour straight it might blow up..
these motors are basically bullet proof

Reactions: Fanatic

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I was getting on the freeway

This again happened twice tonight when I was going home from work.
I then went to a very straight and non frequented road and accelerated hard and shifted.

I have to dissagree with you grady,, the bike makes peak power ar 14,500 rpm so this is where it is optimal to shift, plus the bike has an over-rev of 500 rpm to allow for later shifts if you are racing and need to stay in a gear just that little bit longer to shave that extra 10th of a second off the lap time..
Granted. But this dude isnt on a track, hes squidding it up on the street, where there is never ever a reason to redline a 600. I could see a 250 or 500ex or something but redlining 1st on the street is just silly.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah dude, I'm new to bikes but I know that redlining a bike when you don't need it isn't good. You are working your engine too much. People who race at the track take their bikes to red line most of the time but I know the engine has to be serviced after every race.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
My .02

If your new to bikes and also your bike is having a shifting problem... You need to stop trying to blow up your tranny. Yes, your bike should easily shift at 15K but it's not.

If you want to fix it, take it to a friend that has ridden a while or go to a shop and let them take it for a ride. The problem lies somewhere between your brain and the tranny. Maybe it's your technique, maybe its a sticky shift lever.

If someone with experience shifts it just fine, look at your technique, if they have problems too, then start looking at the bike.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
My .02

If your new to bikes and also your bike is having a shifting problem... You need to stop trying to blow up your tranny. Yes, your bike should easily shift at 15K but it's not.

If you want to fix it, take it to a friend that has ridden a while or go to a shop and let them take it for a ride. The problem lies somewhere between your brain and the tranny. Maybe it's your technique, maybe its a sticky shift lever.

If someone with experience shifts it just fine, look at your technique, if they have problems too, then start looking at the bike.
:+1::crackup::drunk:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Granted. But this dude isnt on a track, hes squidding it up on the street
If you have ever gotten onto a freeway in Cali you know you need to be at freeway speed in an instant.

But talking about squidding doesn't help the problem. If this happens on the track it will get me into some serious trouble. The shifting feels sticky between first and second when shifting at 5k or 6k but it will go through neutral. When I'm at high rpms it doesn't go all the way through.

·
Registered
192 Posts
my 02 F4i (my very first bike) had the same "problem". i took it in and the honda tech said that i needed to be cleaner with my shifting. spent about an hour the next day taking my time to "relearn" how to shift and never had it happen again.

1st to 2nd is the longest shift in the pattern. so the time the clutch is in is a split second longer. think about that when u shift. it might help

just my .02

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you have ever gotten onto a freeway in Cali you know you need to be at freeway speed in an instant.
if I can make it happen with 4 people in a rental jeep commanche or whatever those new POS's are you should be able to do just fine without the need to be redlining it everywhere.

Get moving, pop into second and then wring the piss out of it...

·
Registered
803 Posts
my 02 F4i (my very first bike) had the same "problem". i took it in and the honda tech said that i needed to be cleaner with my shifting. spent about an hour the next day taking my time to "relearn" how to shift and never had it happen again.

1st to 2nd is the longest shift in the pattern. so the time the clutch is in is a split second longer. think about that when u shift. it might help

just my .02
Did a search and found this thread because I've been experiencing a similar issue. I believe I've found my answer in the above quoted post, and I feel that I need to put more emphasis when shifting from 1st to 2nd at higher RPM's.

Thanks to @Rancho60 for posting up this thread - even if it has been a few years. :grin2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts