Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a hard time shifting with their boots on? I have a pair of A* SM-X boots in a size 9.5, and it seems like its going to be hard to get my foot under the shifter to gear up. I was thinking about getting a pair of LP adjustable pegs if it becomes a problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It takes me a little adjustment time to get used to a new pair of boots. I'd give it a little time just to see if you need to get used to them. Also, if it remains a problem, you should be able to adjust the lever position up to where it suits you, just realize that as you adjust it, that means you'll have to move your toe higher to downshift.

Also, rearsets may be a useful mod for you, they aren't the answer here (IMO), because you'd have to lower the pegs to get a relative height increase on the shift lever, and generally, you don't want to lower the pegs because it reduces cornering ground clearance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I felt like the same way, after a few rides though it's not a problem anymore. Just takes a while to get used to.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I think I will try it for a while and see if I will just get use to it. When I had my R6 I used regular shoes and it seems like this might be a little difficult to get use too, but who knows I might like it better.

·
Registered
221 Posts
As radvas said, break the boots in first and get used to them.....but the first thing i do to a new bike is adjust both both hand levers and both foot levers so that they are comfortable for me. It makes shifting, braking and clutching much easier and smoother. A stock bike never has the correct geometry for every rider so you should try moving them and see how it feels to you.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have the same boots and felt awkward trying to shift too. And because of that I wore my sneekers when riding. Thankfully, I've outgrown my :squid: youth and now ride only with those boots. After the first couple of rides, it feels natural now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you adjust the shift lever? Is it just the allen screw? And if I move it up one will this make the shifting distance too short for the tranny?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I found my sidi boots to fit right on for shifting. The heal of the boot fits right up against the peg and the toe right where it should be. But like everyone said, break them in first and get used to riding with them.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Adjust your shift lever position by loosening the locknuts on the shifter rod (rod that runs btwn lever and gearbox) you can then spin this rod with your fingers which will move the lever position up or down.

Find a spot where you can fit your boot under it properly, and that is comfortable for you, re-tighten the lock nuts on the rod, and its done!!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice... thanks alot, I will give it a try.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Worked like charm. Feels alot better now. Thanks guys. Gotta love this board :wink: .

·
Registered
321 Posts
for me it also was hard to get used to at first...but now when riding with my boots on, i just use a small part of the side of the boots (i dont get the whole foot under the shifter)...thats what i thought the extra padding on the boot was for anyway :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Adjust your shift lever position by loosening the locknuts on the shifter rod (rod that runs btwn lever and gearbox) you can then spin this rod with your fingers which will move the lever position up or down.

Find a spot where you can fit your boot under it properly, and that is comfortable for you, re-tighten the lock nuts on the rod, and its done!!!!
this!

adjust on the shifter rod first. you should have enough play to adjust it. no need to torture yourself and try getting used to it.

if there is not enough play in the shifter rod, you can also adjust it on the crankshaft (??) whatever that thing is called where the rod ends, opposite of the rearset. one tooth here is HUGE, so try it out first.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
I have SMX-plus's and i found it quite difficult at first too.

I switched to GP shift pattern and found shifting alot easier.

After a month or so the boots will break in and shifting will be much easier

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I had to adjust my shift lever a little bit after I got my boots. The toe on my A* boots was a little thicker than my old sneakers. It took maybe two attempts at the adjustment to get it right (first one I went to high and downshifts became cumbersome).

Before investing in a set of rearsets try the adjustment.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I have the same boots and felt awkward trying to shift too. And because of that I wore my sneekers when riding. Thankfully, I've outgrown my :squid: youth and now ride only with those boots. After the first couple of rides, it feels natural now.
I agree with this. It felt a bit hard to upshift for a while until you get used to the feeling and the boots break in a bit. I swapped to GP shifting when I got rear sets a month or two ago. I have those set so shifting either way seems pretty easy. With the OEM rear sets not adjusted, it was a bit difficult for me to upshift in a tuck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts