• Just wait for more designs on the X-12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently won 50% off any Shoei helmet during a drawing at my last Fastrack Riders trackday. I was stoked of course thinking I could score a new X12 for $350. Unfortunately, when I looked at the selection of designs I wasn't too thrilled. On the other hand, the RF1100's have more of a selection. Both are great helmets obviously so I can't go wrong but would you guys burn this deal on a helmet you don't quite like the design of or go w/ the better design but lose some features? I'm mostly a canyon rider on the weekends and hit the track maybe 2-3 times a year. My suit is the black/white/gun metal RS-Taichi and I currently have the black Kiyonari X-11. Help me make a choice.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I recently read a really good article in a motorcycle magazine that basically explained how more money doesn't always buy you a better helmet. It talked mainly about how the absolute top of the line models from companies, namely Shoei, are often made with real race use in mind, and are not necessarily better for the average rider. They are usually louder inside, and perhaps not as comfy, since to keep weight down, manufacturers sometimes have to use less padding and such on the inside. They're not any safer than the next level down, it's usually just more venting and fancier shell construction i.e. carbon fiber, and some crazy big spoilers on the backside.

In this case specifically, I'd totally say get the RF-1100. It's a great helmet, and from what I have read it is noticeably quieter than the X-12.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The Hadron would be my RF-1100 choice. Still a toss up for the X-12. Thanks for the advice all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I love my RF1000. It is a little noisier than my shark, but it is alot more comfortable. And like they said, it has like 20 different designs with each having its own colors. I get alot of compliments on it as well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i have an X12. i think its great, its gets really hot here in the mediterrainean and the venting is awesome. Visor is huge with great visibility and i find it really comfy.
I agree that its not as quiet inside as a shark. But i like to hear my bikes engine...
and it looks cool too!!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recently read a really good article in a motorcycle magazine that basically explained how more money doesn't always buy you a better helmet. It talked mainly about how the absolute top of the line models from companies, namely Shoei, are often made with real race use in mind, and are not necessarily better for the average rider. They are usually louder inside, and perhaps not as comfy, since to keep weight down, manufacturers sometimes have to use less padding and such on the inside. They're not any safer than the next level down, it's usually just more venting and fancier shell construction i.e. carbon fiber, and some crazy big spoilers on the backside.

In this case specifically, I'd totally say get the RF-1100. It's a great helmet, and from what I have read it is noticeably quieter than the X-12.
I own a HJC CL-15 as a spare just in case helmet. There's a huge difference between that and my X-11 but I understand your point. I'm just trying to take advantage of this 50% discount. :lol:

If possible, get another X-11. I've read that they're much better than the new X-12.

I use this site for a lot of comparisons/reviews: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/x-12/
Good review. Thanks!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts