Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of like the topic says. I am a new rider, so I did the "responsible" (money wise, not choosing a beginner bike wise) thing and picked up a 03 for a really good price (I could sell it for probably 750 - 1000 more).

Reason I went "cheap" was I didn't want to drop a ton of money and find out that I don't enjoy it. Well I freaking love riding, and a 09 has popped up used for a fair asking price.

So I am trying to make a decison. Keep the 03 "modifying" it (nothing huge as it came with some good stuff GPR v1/Vortex Rear Set/Braided Lines/Woodcraft Frame sliders/Woodcraft Strator and Clutch covers/and a few other bits). Or dump it now and get the 09 (it is stock).

I don't need to sell the 03 to buy the 09 or anything like that.

Opinions?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Kind of like the topic says. I am a new rider, so I did the "responsible" (money wise, not choosing a beginner bike wise) thing and picked up a 03 for a really good price (I could sell it for probably 750 - 1000 more).

Reason I went "cheap" was I didn't want to drop a ton of money and find out that I don't enjoy it. Well I freaking love riding, and a 09 has popped up used for a fair asking price.

So I am trying to make a decison. Keep the 03 "modifying" it (nothing huge as it came with some good stuff GPR v1/Vortex Rear Set/Braided Lines/Woodcraft Frame sliders/Woodcraft Strator and Clutch covers/and a few other bits). Or dump it now and get the 09 (it is stock).

I don't need to sell the 03 to buy the 09 or anything like that.

Opinions?
you will love the 09. But you might want a 1k? just an idea.

·
Registered
368 Posts
HeHe Just my .02 keep the 03 get the 09 for street and track the he!! outta the 03. Doubt you will have any regrets either way. And besides even if you street both you can never have too many good running bikes in the garage. Keep both running well and you'll never be without a rideable bike in the event one goes down for a min for repairs or maint.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a good point right there. I could keep the 03 as a track bike, or I could make some money off of it hmmm :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah we will see. I do know the bike is still available. But the asking price is actually below NADA low retail (he is asking $6300). The ad sounds good (seller says he has babied it, maintence records etc). But of course it may follow the rule of "too good to be true".

Not sure what a good price is in the Lower 48. But up here in AK anything even close to BLUEBOOK is generally considered a fair price.

·
Registered
209 Posts
get a 1000 for sure... i would get the 06 model zx-10 with the tear headlights in orange omg so sexy.. :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha I am happy with a 600 for now.

So maybe you guys can give some advice. Heard back from the seller, and it was dropped and he says some very light scratches (I will determine that). BUT it does have a lien from Honda on it. That is my main concern right now.

In Alaska bill of sales don't mean squat, so I am not sure how purchasing a bike with a lien would work (if at all).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An 09 with mods will sell better than an 03 with mods later down the line..

If the bike is sound and you can trade ur 03 in + pay the difference in full... its kind of a no brainer...
Oh yeah I am with ya. Just the lien thing. Still doing research on how to go about it (and if I feel comfortable doing it).

·
Registered
87 Posts
i sold my 04 600rr with 22k for 4 grand... so it held its value thank god and i made a cool 2k of it ;)

as far as the lien goes.. you have to go to the bank when your buying it and get them to release the lien right then and there. dont take the owners word that hell get back to you or the bank will mail it out. 99% they never get back to you.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I dont see why not. It will be a difference in power from the 03 to the 09, but you should definetly be able to handle it. I thought the 07 was still the most powerful? Becuase in 09 didnt they have to restrict the power due to noise regulations?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I guess I'll go a little against the grain and say to just stick with the '03 for now. I'll give you my personal experience as to why:

I bought an '05 RR as my first bike and I absolutely LOVED it. I rode the sh!t out of that bike for about a year (put over 7k miles on it). My buddy hounded me and hounded me to sell it to him and finally I broke down and sold it to him when I found an 848.

I bought the 848 and didn't like it (I'm not going to re-hash this whole story b/c I'm a broken record around here about it). I rode that for a while but luckily was offered $1,500 more than I paid for it so I sold it. I went out looking for an R6 or another RR and eventually fell in love with the '08 Graffiti I bought.

Now I do like my current bike, but if I could do it all over again I would've just held onto my '05. I got it for a bargain and sold it to my friend cheap.

I will say this though: if I hadn't tried new things I'd still be wondering about other bikes... and I actually had my heart set on a Daytona 675 this time around until I found my current bike.

So after all that here's my advice: do whatever you want to do. If it makes you happy go for it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well a little bit of an update. The lien may just make me say no to the deal. If it was through a local bank, it would be no problem. But it is through Honda Finance. So yeah, still doing some research, but eh might be out of my comfort level.

I would have no problem with a 07/08 etc.... But they are few and far between. And what there is the owners are high (there is a 07 on CL, 848 miles and he wants $7500 FIRM). I get it that it is like new, but WTF?!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts