Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also.. i just changed the oil and oil filter but ended up draining oil completely,
do i need a new oil filter if i go from 10w30 to 10w40?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just changed it 3 days ago

You should be changing the filter every time you change the oil regardless of if you change weight.

... yeah but i changed the oil filter 3 days ago... just putting a thicker oil in it.....
in other words will .4 qt. of 10w30 mess up the 3.6 qt of 10w40

·
Registered
113 Posts
Refer to your owners manual. If it didn't come with one, spend a few bucks online or look up the pdf of it. I have an 08 as well and just changed the oil and filter 4 days ago. It calls for 10w30 and 3.0 QTs. Not sure why you are using 3.6. Saw your other post about it being above the line, and this may be your problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, I know the owners manual says 10w-30/10w-40. However the chart shows 20w-40/20w-50 too. Since my climate is hot, gets about 18c (40F) overnight, average days are 28C (85F) all year round, would it be a benefit to use 20w-40, since temp for it shows 0C-40c+? Or stick with 10w-40 which is -12c--40c+

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
10w40 is fine, if you start burning oil then switch to the heavier weight.

If not, then stick with the lighter one. Better for cold start.
Yeah I will stick with 10w-40. Just saw 20w-50 is good for 0c-40c. Since our temps don't usually go under 18c, thought the heavier oil may be more beneficial.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I would change it... Part of the oil you used before is still in the filter...

You'll have mixed oils if you put a different oil and start the engine...

Not something that is crazy bad... Still, no one has ever been suggested to mix oil types...

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
It will not matter what viscosity oil you have like 10w-40 or 10w-30 left in the filter. If it's a new filter, don't waste your time energy and money by putting on a new one, that's totally not necessary. The residual oil left over is so minuet that it just won't do anything at all. If all you did was drop the oil after 3 days of putting on a new filter and doing an oil change, leave you new filter on and add your new oil in. I would encourage those that don't know what they're talking about to keep away any misinformation you heard from your buddies or uncle, to save stress and headache and money for those asking questions unless you're sure it is the truth or accurate. Simple answer is NO, no need to take off your filter after 3 days.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I agree not to change it. Pretty sure there is lingering oil from any oil change in the engine and clutch plates, etc. that didn't get out as part of the drain. I think putting new oil in or mixing a small part isn't going to damage it as long as it's the type recommended.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts