Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I wrecked last year I noticed slight scratches where the right side of my helmet slid across grass/pine needles as I rolled haha I didnt even feel my head hit as it happened and figured hey i didnt drop it I just slide/rolled in it, but Ive been using it this year and got a new visor for it then literally a week after i got the visor I left my helmet on my handlebar(which I never do) to run into walmart real quick and came back and it was on the ground!

on a side note I do get exhaust vibration noise and a ringing in my right ear, like at certain rpms it gets loud and makes my ear ring haha I was told thats normal and just now thought maybe its from my wreck?!

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
technically when a helmet is dropped it should be replaced.... however it's your brain bucket and ultimately your call on if you want to replace it or not

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
see thats what Ive read other places, dropping the helmet wont do anything because theres nothing on the inside to push against the foam so it wont mess it up unless its a cheap helmet or from a high up drop

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
see thats what Ive read other places, dropping the helmet wont do anything because theres nothing on the inside to push against the foam so it wont mess it up unless its a cheap helmet or from a high up drop
I wouldn't want to risk using a non safe helmet either if it was to be dropped. But I know that you can send in your helmet to Arai for them to check.

Also before sending it you can quickly rip apart the interior padding, and hold a black light to the inner part, it reveals if there are any cracks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't want to risk using a non safe helmet either if it was to be dropped. But I know that you can send in your helmet to Arai for them to check.

Also before sending it you can quickly rip apart the interior padding, and hold a black light to the inner part, it reveals if there are any cracks.
My helmet is an Icon but I think Im gonna try the black light

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
A helmet used in active duty should be replaced at 6 years; the liner or EPS should have a 'born on date' somewhere.

Ringing is the sign of hearing damage; wind and motorcycle noise can be severe even in a good helmet. I always wear earplugs when riding; not only is it more comfortable for me, the surpression of wind noise helps me hear things like other vehicles, sirens, etc.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
That video says it all about Arai. I once owned an Icon and HJC but upgraded to an Arai and never looked back. My wife has a Shoei but for some reason, I feel more comfortable in an Arai than a Shoei. Arai's (Honda) design is not as aggressive as Shoei (Yamaha) but it's the most comfortable.

To your question, you should replace it but it's your safety so it's really your call.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Safest bet is obviously to replace it. But if there was no impact in the crash and no other damage besides light scratches I personally wouldn't feel worried about continuing to use it. However, we weren't there when it happened so most will probably give you the safest response. Gotta use your best judgement at the end of the day.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Having worked in fiberglass/advanced composites for the last 6 years dropping it won't do much to the matrix. The foam I can't speak for. That being said we look at WSBK, MotoGP, Moto3, Moto2, MotoAmerica, BSB and those riders go down and if they have the opportunity to remount well they're on a downed helmet right? They're still good. It comes down to do you lose enough material for it to render itself too weak to withstand the damages. Most of the time head dragging across a pavement, basically sanding the helmet.

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
A helmet used in active duty should be replaced at 6 years; the liner or EPS should have a 'born on date' somewhere.

Ringing is the sign of hearing damage; wind and motorcycle noise can be severe even in a good helmet. I always wear earplugs when riding; not only is it more comfortable for me, the surpression of wind noise helps me hear things like other vehicles, sirens, etc.
I've been wearing ear plugs for years now and actually prefer it much more VS w/out them. I had ringing in my ears before from helmet wind noise. I prefer to have my hearing in tact in my later years.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Walmart and sport bikes do not mix. Especially if there is a helmet on the handle bar.

Anyway...If its 4 or more years old and you spent less than 200 just replace.
If its a younger helmet and you spent a pretty penny on it I'm sure it will hold up, but like the guys on here said (and I agree) why take a chance?

On a side note: I LOVE ear plugs. Give them a shot. Once I did I can't ride without them now. GL man.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the helmet is onyl a year old now! and I wear ear plugs all day at work so Im used to them, its an Icon airmada salient

·
Registered
196 Posts

Mine is "comms ready" which basically means there is no foam against the ear.
That cavity works as a wind noise amplifier, man its loud, I got some thin adhesive foam, cut it to the shape of the cavity and stuck it in, deadened it a lot.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If it were me, I'd be looking for every reason to upgrade or make a switch... Not really because of the drop or the scrape, but because I want to get out of my HJC and get into an Arai, lol.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the 2 helmets Ive been looking at are either 270 dollars with 100$ visors and leds or a 400 dollars one with no leds but reg visor prices lol

·
Super Moderator
6,484 Posts
A helmet is the single most important piece of gear you wear. Make sure it's a quality item, with good safety ratings. The best helmet for you is the one that fits properly. Get yourself measured to get you in the proper size range. Then try on all different brands & models to see which is the most comfortable for your specific head. Blindly ordering a helmet over the internet without trying it one before hand is a huge gamble, unless they have a good return policy. Be sure to check all the rules before doing that. Personally, I do not like any helmet that is a Polycarbonate shell and choose either a tri-composite, fiberglass or carbon shell. Get the best helmet you can afford.

Solid material: Motorcycle Helmet FAQ - webBikeWorld

Helmet ratings: SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
the 2 helmets Ive been looking at are either 270 dollars with 100$ visors and leds or a 400 dollars one with no leds but reg visor prices lol
I know what that's like $450 shark helmet and $90 smoked visor... but the visor is different thicknesses in the middle and sides to eliminate distortion

1 - 20 of 35 Posts