Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, never let a friend ride your bike. A buddy borrowed my 09 CBR600RR with ABS for a short ride. He has been riding for 20 years with no incidents. 2 miles from the house he wrecks the bike, hits a car with one side and lays down on the other. All of the plastics, except the tank were scratched. All of the turn lights knocked off. No scratches or dents on any hard parts, except slight bend in one clipon and rearsets. Wheels and frame are straight, as checked by shop. Engine and all controls are fine also. The kicker is that in Maryland this goes on my insurance and as an "at fault" since the insurance goes with the bike, not the rider.

Second, insurance just totaled the bike based on a salvage value of $3300. Question: Should I buy the bike back for the $3300??? I have been thinking about getting a track bike anyway...

Cheers,
Kirk

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
If they gave you at least a grand more than that then hell yeh. That will give you enough to get it to the track and have a couple dollars spare!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
definately....i did a few years ago and a guy i know just did as well neither of us regret our choice. and even if u werent gonna track it.....next time u crash theres not as much stuff to ruin or make look bad either :p:p

·
Registered
180 Posts
Id say buy it. If you havent rode on the track before than your set with those plastics, incase you fall you wont be pissed now haha. Either keep it as track bike or take the plastics off and put a cage on it and sell it as a stunt bike to someone. You really have a lot of options for it just depends if you want to or even can put the time and some money into it.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
First, what kind of friend was that who's been riding for 20yrs and crashes your bike 2miles from your house?

Second, I wouldn't buy it back for 3300; too expensive. You can buy salvaged bikes for far less.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Buy it back, thats how i got my bike from my car (most of it). Bought my car back for $300, and got a $2000 check. I cant use the door behind the driver door. It has new tires and the engine us probably good for another 100k miles.

Only if you get enough to make it a track bike.

·
T. BOTM Winner 10/11
4,508 Posts
i bought the salvage on mine to make a track bike. as long as you know everything works fine you'd be hard pressed to buy a new track bike for that cheap otherwise

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hell yea Id buy it back and use it as a track bike. Even if I didnt have money to fix it right away, it'd be a nice project.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i would buy it back. its a good investment. i have access to an auction license and we pick up all the salvaged bikes we can.

just out of curiosity what is your friend doing about the fact that he totaled out your bike?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thats alot for a salvage bike. I bought my bike back for $1200 but it was in worse shape. BUT to get it into track trim it didn't matter because most stuff gets replaced with track parts anyways. So, if your going to really track it out your going to end up spending what you would have spent on the stock bike BUT you will be left with a salvage title and hopes to get $5,000 out of it when you sell it completely repaired. It all boils down to how serious you are about a track bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts