Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so my 04 600RR has become a money pit. over the past year and a half i have put it at least 3000 dollars into maintenance and replacement of the usual wear and tear of parts. not upgrdes, mind you, just replacement.

when i went in to have my rotors replaced, i learned that the bolts holding in my front brake pads are frozen. freeing up the bolts will more than likely end up in damage to both calipers (yes, they are THAT stuck).

she has jsut under 45,000 miles on her. but is mechanically sound. maintenance is just catching up to me.

so my issue is this and i'm just trying to get opinions as i foresee a difficult decision in my near future. here are the scenarios:

1. replace the calipers with brand new oem which is a total of over 700 bucks afer all is said and done.

2. find some used ones on ebay or craigslist and replace them for significantly lower.

3. turn her into a project bike and buy another bike. and if i go the purchasigng another bike route i have two ways i can go.
a. a used bike, but running the risk of inheriting another money pit.
b. brand new, and have to deal with monthly payments.

ARGH! :banghead:

·
Registered
324 Posts
eBay far a used set for sure!! I bet you could get both front calipers for $60 used!! you could upgrade to the 05-06 calipers i think they are better than 03-04 one and are interchangable!

EDIT:

just looked for you. 05-06 calipers with brake lines Buy now $39.95 $15.05 to ship $55.00 Total

05-06 calipers on Ebay

Why spend $700?? $55 sounds a lot cheaper

·
Registered
327 Posts
My caliper pad pins were pretty tight too..
try putting a long closed end wrench on the end of the alen key.. get more leverage.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
yeah, stay away from stealerships for maintence.... you will spend 3X more than needed. :(

and NO the 03-04 calipers are NOT interchangable witht he 05-09 unless you change forks

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
What also helps is, don't be so anal about buying *NEW* or trying to keep your bike/parts in mint condition. Not saying you are but there are some people who are like that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i appreciate the input guys. i might go the used calipers route.

i guess, it's just frustrating cuz it's my primary mode of transpo and down time effs with my universe with regard to commuting and stuff.

·
Registered
639 Posts
like others said, stay far from stealer ships for service.

try soaking the calipers in solvent, then working on the bolt. penetrating oil and time can go a long ways as well. you might want to see about tearing them apart and cleaning them after soaking, not sure how it will react with brake fluid.

if that doesn't work.

I am swapping my front end out with an 05, I will let you know when I do as the calipers will be available for sale (16,000ish miles, 1/2 worn EBC HH pads, they were taken completely apart at 10,000 and serviced)

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
My bike came into my rescue while my car is leaking coolant. The bike is also my primary transportation as well and I hate down time. Get it fixed man. Like everyone said, you're almost there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts