Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 600rr. I got the bike wrecked and it had been sitting outside for a long time. we took the airbox off and looked inside it after buying it and there's a ton of corrosion in the cylinder head and possibly the cylinders too. like rusty watery crap. I cleaned it out best i could with some brake cleaner and a tooth brush, removed the spark plugs and cranked it to remove any left over brake cleaner. put it back together and we have spark and fuel.

did a compression check and it came dismal. 115, 55, 34, 25 was the number we got....

Whats a fair price on a good 03-06 engine and would it be better to get a motor from a running bike rather than rebuild mine? I'd like to do whatever is cheaper of course.. its a track bike with a salvage title so its not worth alot without an engine for sure. i probably wouldn't break even :banghead:

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
dude just buy one on ebay if you must.. I just picked up a 07 with 5k for $1170 shipped

You can find a higher mileage one for around 800..

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm currently rebuilding my 03 engine and so far it's cost I would say around £1500 - £2000 which is just crazy and I wish I hadn't started doing it, but on the plus side it's for me really enjoyable and a massive learning experience.
Might be worth totalling all the parts needed not forgetting things like sealing washers and head bolts that need to be replaced as they shouldn't be reused. If you go with honda parts all the little things really do add up to a lot!
So, cost wise a second hand motor is a lot cheaper but what condition is it in?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts