Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, this is my first post but I visit this site quite a bit and know you guys have a great site and information source. I was hoping to get some thoughts from you guys, especially since most of you have 600RRs.

I am contemplating getting a 1000RR at some point in time. When I get it is the question. My current 03 600RR has 7300 miles and 4yr ext warrenty. How much should I try to get for it if I sold it now? If I sell it next year, I imagine I will have close to 14,000mi but with an extended warranty will I be able to still get a decent amount of money? Here's a generic question, if you were buying a used bike would you take an excellent condition 7000mi bike with no warrenty or a 14000mi equally well maintained bike with 3-yrs Honda warranty?

Do any of you all plan on moving to a liter bike any time soon? If so, what are your reasons? Have any of you moved from a liter to a six? If so, what were your reasons? Any pros or cons to either decision?

Thanks!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I moved from a Blackbird 1100XX to the 6 because of weight. The liter bike has more power than you can use on the street anyway so unless you are out for pure bragging rights about the size of your motor ad RWHP, its really not as much fun to me. The heavier monster did not handle as well and that is what I enjoy about bikes so I went back down to a 6 and like it a lot more. The only thing I miss about the bigger bike is the amount of tq it had when I was 2 up. As for how mush to pay, not sure because I have never bought a used one. In the end its all up to you though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
slodsm said:
I moved from a Blackbird 1100XX to the 6 because of weight. The liter bike has more power than you can use on the street anyway so unless you are out for pure bragging rights about the size of your motor ad RWHP, its really not as much fun to me. The heavier monster did not handle as well and that is what I enjoy about bikes so I went back down to a 6 and like it a lot more. The only thing I miss about the bigger bike is the amount of tq it had when I was 2 up. As for how mush to pay, not sure because I have never bought a used one. In the end its all up to you though.
Thanks for the reply. I have heard that the new 1000 is very forgiving and rides like the six-RR....I don't know.... I just want to make sure I put miles on a bike intend to keep for a long time and I plan to only have one bike.

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
I had an F4i and moved up to a 954 for the power...and I loved the 954, I still do, but now I'm going from the 954 back down to a 600RR...I fell in love with the 600RR, it's not as comfortable, and doesn't have as much power...but it's so flick-able and it just handles like a dream...I'm sure the 1000RR will do that, but I just figured out now that a liter bike has too much power for me...and unless I'm doing wheelies, I'll never use it, I mean, hell, I'll probably never use all the power of the 600 unless I start racing.

I'm not sure how much $$ you'll get for your bike if you do decide to sell it, but take a look at www.kbb.com

·
Registered
647 Posts
Money depends on when you sale it (winter or summer) and to whom. If you take it to a dealer for a trade in your not going to get so much. Look at the Kelly Blue book. www.KBB.com You would be able to get at least $7K this year. Not sure how much you would get next year but bikes dont loose their value too quickly

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bull said:
Money depends on when you sale it (winter or summer) and to whom. If you take it to a dealer for a trade in your not going to get so much. Look at the Kelly Blue book. www.KBB.com You would be able to get at least $7K this year. Not sure how much you would get next year but bikes dont loose their value too quickly
But I am planning on riding a lot so my 600 will have a lot more miles...

If I do sell it it would be in the next 1-2 weeks. I think I am going to run an ad in my local cycle trader, regardless, just to see what kind of offers I get.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Meddiepie954rr said:
I had an F4i and moved up to a 954 for the power...and I loved the 954, I still do, but now I'm going from the 954 back down to a 600RR...I fell in love with the 600RR, it's not as comfortable, and doesn't have as much power...but it's so flick-able and it just handles like a dream...I'm sure the 1000RR will do that, but I just figured out now that a liter bike has too much power for me...and unless I'm doing wheelies, I'll never use it, I mean, hell, I'll probably never use all the power of the 600 unless I start racing.

I'm not sure how much $$ you'll get for your bike if you do decide to sell it, but take a look at www.kbb.com
Do you miss having solid power down low and not having to shift as much? I always hear people praising the low rpm power. What scares me a little about a liter-bike is the possibility of breaking the wheel loose in a corner. I have ridden quite a few twisties but I have never felt all that comfortable when the rear gets loose, especially on the street.

·
4,452 Posts
CDiddi said:
Meddiepie954rr said:

Do you miss having solid power down low and not having to shift as much? I always hear people praising the low rpm power. What scares me a little about a liter-bike is the possibility of breaking the wheel loose in a corner. I have ridden quite a few twisties but I have never felt all that comfortable when the rear gets loose, especially on the street.

No, I don't really miss the low rpm power...the only reason I ever even really used it was for wheelies... I mean, the liter bike will definatly be different...and you'll have to take it slow all over again to get comfortable with the power, and to get to where you know what twisting your wrist is gunna do on the bike...the biggest thing that helped me go back down to a 600 was to put a pipe on it...to me, it made all the difference in the world, just the sound made me feel like my bike had more power...I dunno, it might sound kinda crazy, but as soon as I put the pipe on my bike, I felt a world of difference...do you have one on your bike? Have you ever ridden a liter bike? They're a lot of fun, but if you mess up, they'll throw you a lot harder than a 600 will. The only REAL difference though, that you'll notice right away going from the 600 to the liter bike is that the throttle will be a lot more responsive, there will be less delay, like...you'll hit the gas, and you'll go, there won't be any hesitation(sp?) from the bike. The only time I really noticed the difference between my F4i and my 954 was when I went back down and rode my F4i after I had been riding my 954 for a couple weeks. But while I was moving up from the F4i to the 954, I didn't really notice that much of a difference...but then again, I wasn't really pushing it that hard. Woah...this is long...sorry, I hope any of this might help...it's kind of jumbled

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Meddiepie954rr said:
No, I don't really miss the low rpm power...the only reason I ever even really used it was for wheelies... I mean, the liter bike will definatly be different...and you'll have to take it slow all over again to get comfortable with the power, and to get to where you know what twisting your wrist is gunna do on the bike...the biggest thing that helped me go back down to a 600 was to put a pipe on it...to me, it made all the difference in the world, just the sound made me feel like my bike had more power...I dunno, it might sound kinda crazy, but as soon as I put the pipe on my bike, I felt a world of difference...do you have one on your bike? Have you ever ridden a liter bike? They're a lot of fun, but if you mess up, they'll throw you a lot harder than a 600 will. The only REAL difference though, that you'll notice right away going from the 600 to the liter bike is that the throttle will be a lot more responsive, there will be less delay, like...you'll hit the gas, and you'll go, there won't be any hesitation(sp?) from the bike. The only time I really noticed the difference between my F4i and my 954 was when I went back down and rode my F4i after I had been riding my 954 for a couple weeks. But while I was moving up from the F4i to the 954, I didn't really notice that much of a difference...but then again, I wasn't really pushing it that hard. Woah...this is long...sorry, I hope any of this might help...it's kind of jumbled
Your post helps a lot, thanks. To answer your question(s), I have never ridden a liter bike and I do have a pipe (slip-on) on my 600RR (Akro). I was thinking I could put a PC3 on (assuming the new TPS plug eliminated the probs people were having). THen I thought to myself, maybe instead of putting more and more money into the six I could just go to the 1000RR, especially with the possibility of wanting it in a year or two down the road. And THEN...I thought maybe I should sell now to get the most resale from my bike...

What kind of pipe did you put on?

Who feels that the 1000RR is too much for the street?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Meddie600RR said:
The bike is actually mine, but My brother, Meddiepie954RR will get it once I get a new one. The bike has a Jardine Titanium on it.
What bike are you getting???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Meddie600RR said:
The bike is actually mine, but My brother, Meddiepie954RR will get it once I get a new one. The bike has a Jardine Titanium on it.
What bike are you getting???

·
Registered
23 Posts
Why are you wanting the 1K? What kinda riding do you do? How long you been riding? What level do you ride at? Do you think your current ride is being pushed to the limits? Do you have fun on your current ride and does it still challenge you? Are you ham fisted or do you currently have a very good throtle hand?

The above are just a few questions to ask yourself when making the decision you are asking about, in my opinion. I just had my 03 GSXR1000 stolen and I replaced it with a 600rr and have NO regrets, now, yeah I am missing the brute power and torque of the liter bike and I felt that I could ride it very good but yes it had more power than I needed on the streets. I have begun to really love the 600 it is sooooooo much more forgiving and my corner speeds are waaaay faster. I will be getting another 1K but I am going to keep the 600. I had been wanting a track day bike and knew that while the 1k would be fun it would be a hand full at the track and having a track day come up soon and only having limited experiance on the track I decided to first buy the 600 and hold off a few months on the liter bike. The 1K is a hand full and if you do not have a steady throtle hand and not real smooth on the 600 in the twisties then you may want to think a little harder on the 1K you can find yourself in trouble a lot easier on it than the 600. But you really can't beat the feeling of the power on the 1k 2/3 gear snap the throtle and the front end just lifts right up, I rode the cbr1000 right before my 1K was stolen and it did not have the same brute power a little more user friendly but not by much. If you do get the 1K you'll be addicted right from the start, but don't go bikeless keep the 600 till your ready to buy the 1K if nothing else just to keep the rust off you.

Sorry for such a long post guys, specially since it is my first on this board. What ever you do just be safe and have fun, hope this helps a little.

·
4,452 Posts
I don't think that pushing your 600 to the limits has much to do with wanting a liter bike...a lot of people prefer the low power rpms...and you don't need to roll through the gears as quickly if you're city riding. Those are probably the two things I liked the best about my 954...the get-go is amazing, and when I'm riding around the city, I'm usually not out of 2nd gear, as where when I'm on the 600RR, I'm usually in 3rd or 4th...it's kind of nice not to have to shift as much. (I don't ride at very high RPMs) I dunno, my suggestion would be to ask around, find some one around you, or that you're friends with who has a liter bike, and try to let him let you ride it for a little while, let him ride your bike or something...just to kind of get a basic feel of what you're going to be getting yourself into. Where are you located?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Basically if you want power, wheelies, and huge take offs get the liter bike. But for me, I want the better handling, cornering, and could really care less about the power thats why the 600rr is my choice. But everyone is different.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tattoodraven said:
Why are you wanting the 1K? What kinda riding do you do? How long you been riding? What level do you ride at? Do you think your current ride is being pushed to the limits? Do you have fun on your current ride and does it still challenge you? Are you ham fisted or do you currently have a very good throtle hand?

The above are just a few questions to ask yourself when making the decision you are asking about, in my opinion. I just had my 03 GSXR1000 stolen and I replaced it with a 600rr and have NO regrets, now, yeah I am missing the brute power and torque of the liter bike and I felt that I could ride it very good but yes it had more power than I needed on the streets. I have begun to really love the 600 it is sooooooo much more forgiving and my corner speeds are waaaay faster. I will be getting another 1K but I am going to keep the 600. I had been wanting a track day bike and knew that while the 1k would be fun it would be a hand full at the track and having a track day come up soon and only having limited experiance on the track I decided to first buy the 600 and hold off a few months on the liter bike. The 1K is a hand full and if you do not have a steady throtle hand and not real smooth on the 600 in the twisties then you may want to think a little harder on the 1K you can find yourself in trouble a lot easier on it than the 600. But you really can't beat the feeling of the power on the 1k 2/3 gear snap the throtle and the front end just lifts right up, I rode the cbr1000 right before my 1K was stolen and it did not have the same brute power a little more user friendly but not by much. If you do get the 1K you'll be addicted right from the start, but don't go bikeless keep the 600 till your ready to buy the 1K if nothing else just to keep the rust off you.

Sorry for such a long post guys, specially since it is my first on this board. What ever you do just be safe and have fun, hope this helps a little.
The reason I am considering the 1000RR is because I want it to be my last bike purchase, at least for the next 5+ years. I usually ride twisties and some occasional cruising and commutes to work. The 600RR was my second bike and I have only been riding for about 2.5 years (seasons). When buying the 600RR I planned on having if for a long time but I have recently wished it had more power. I'm not sure if I need 1000cc's of power right now but something in between would be perfect. However, heard the 1000RR was mild mannered and had handling characteristics very similar to the 600RR. Like I said, I plan on racking up some miles and would like to do it on a bike that I plan on keeping and being 100% satisfied with for a very long time. Also, I am not really a ham fist and I think I have developed decent smoothness with my throttle hand. I am to the point where I easily keep up with the seasoned 1-liter riders in my Sunday ride group and am ahead of the "less-skilled" 1-liter riders. On the flip side, I don't want to give up the comfort I have in the twisties with my 600RR being scared of braking the rear wheel lose, etc...

tattoodraven, Let me ask you this, what are your reasons for getting another 1000?

Question for everyone: How long are you all planning on keeping your 600RRs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Meddiepie954rr said:
I don't think that pushing your 600 to the limits has much to do with wanting a liter bike...a lot of people prefer the low power rpms...and you don't need to roll through the gears as quickly if you're city riding. Those are probably the two things I liked the best about my 954...the get-go is amazing, and when I'm riding around the city, I'm usually not out of 2nd gear, as where when I'm on the 600RR, I'm usually in 3rd or 4th...it's kind of nice not to have to shift as much. (I don't ride at very high RPMs) I dunno, my suggestion would be to ask around, find some one around you, or that you're friends with who has a liter bike, and try to let him let you ride it for a little while, let him ride your bike or something...just to kind of get a basic feel of what you're going to be getting yourself into. Where are you located?
I'm in Michigan....Ann Arbor area.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice to see another Michigander. I honestly plan to keep my 600RR for a very long time. I would never consider going to a higher cc bike, doesnt impress me or interest me..I am not a rider who would use that much power. If I was to ever get another bike Im sure it would be another 600RR, but thats years down the road.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts