Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say this person LOVES a certain bike, is willing to work hard and save up for it. Has his priorities straight and all, but doesn't make much but doesn't make very little either .

Should he just say F it and buy the bike of their dream?

·
Registered
268 Posts
It's all about balancing between saving and rewarding yourself. If you don't see the money going into anything in the forseeable future (house, wedding, car, divorce settlement, investment) then maybe go for it. But if anything does happen you will be deep SOL.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Look at the long run picture ie buying the bike now does not mean you would be able to maintain it properly tomorrow and that is a huge issue to think off why because if you start neglecting the bike simply because you have other expenses then it's a hard pill to swallow and all prior investments went down the drain The upkeep is a major part of happy ownership and enjoyment got to have a budget for such part of ownership

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
If u can't afford it wait till u can. This country is hurting cuz of the mentality of financing too large and defaulting on their loans. Only buy if u can afford it. I bought used cuz I could afford it easily. I could have bought new but than money would be too tight for me to be comfortable. Jus my opinion

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
105 Posts
I agree with some of the statements above. This contry is in so much trouble because for the past several year people bought houses that they simply could not afford. Not they are in foreclosure. Don't buy it if you cannot afford to pay the payments comfortably and also keep paying your other payments. Why put yourself in so much mental anguish because of a motorcycle? It is not a necessity, is it? Why lose sleep over it?

·
Registered
714 Posts
dont worry just the fact that this person cant afford it this person automatically is staying away from it. example i want an nsx.. i cant afford it.. therefore it is staying away from me.

this person should just buy it.. when this person cant make anymore payments they will take it. learn the hard way :) but atleast this person had it and learned something and this person will miss it

·
Registered
817 Posts
Life's short... I overspend, so I have to work too much... to each their own. I'm also not very young anymore, so my world is different than others... everyone's at a different point in their lives.

Mort

·
Registered
663 Posts
If you can't pay cash but can manage a loan and the payments for it with a decent interest rate, go for it.

If you can't budget that, then don't. Pretty simple.

·
RR Noobie!
150 Posts
I say do it! the world is coming to an end on 12/21/12 so might as well enjoy the time we have left! =P

·
Registered
535 Posts
Taking a loan for a car is one thing.....I refuse to take out a loan on a bike, if you can't pay for the bike with cash in hand then it's too expensive for you!

I bought my 06 600RR with cash and it felt great to have the title come to me in the mail and the bike is mine! Even though every time I go to the shop when I need something and see that awesome 12' Fireblade I note in the back of my mind......don't need it just want it and don't have the money to buy it yet.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Taking a loan for a car is one thing.....I refuse to take out a loan on a bike, if you can't pay for the bike with cash in hand then it's too expensive for you!

I bought my 06 600RR with cash and it felt great to have the title come to me in the mail and the bike is mine! Even though every time I go to the shop when I need something and see that awesome 12' Fireblade I note in the back of my mind......don't need it just want it and don't have the money to buy it yet.
That's actually a good point. Paid cash for my '07.

I guess the difference is if this is a toy or a main method of transportation. If it's a toy, cash or don't get it.

·
OG
3,350 Posts
I pretty much asked this on rennlist porsche forum a while back and the answers were unanimous: do not finance anything unless you have the cash to pay it off if you had to. It's interesting how rich people see things. Maybe their point of view explains why they are rich?

My personal point of view is that it is fine to have one thing financed at any given moment (house not included). It has helped me prioritize what I'm financing, and gives me motivation to pay it off as quickly as I'm comfortable with, so that I can finance the next toy.

Good luck with what you decide, amigo. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Learned my lesson the first time as a dumbass 18 year old.

I will NEVER finance another bike.

Get something you can afford in cash, take care of it, save up. Sell, buy another. Repeat.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Also, just checked your age. Full coverage for my first bike was more every year than the purchase price of the bike....

I don't know what you are looking at, or what your record is, but make sure you can afford all the costs of it. That includes maintenance. If you can't afford full coverage don't buy a bike, or you will end up like I was....making payments on a bike that was nearly totaled and sitting in my garage, because i could not afford to repair it.

·
Registered
467 Posts

I agree on sometimes we want abike rather then need it, but honestly not everyone can save enough to buy a bike flat out, even if it is used. I say this because I bought both a car and bike used and had to pay them off.

I paid my 2006 Civic off within a year because of a large down payment and high monthly payments. I will have my 07 600rr paid off in 11 months due to the same reason.
I think you have to be smart with your decision for the vehicle type, its use, its affordability, catch a deal, allow expense for maintenance as well as asking what if questions such as "what if I lose my job, get laid off, or get injured?" But in the end, you have to be comfortable with your decision and realize that you are committing to something very serious.

The car was my need, the bike is my want. If I have to go through life working for what I need and want while maintaing a decent life, I'm fine with that. I accept responsability if something goes wrong in the process.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts