Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the charging system on these bikes (05' 600RR) is much different than a car, but will the regulator/rectifier put out enough power to keep the bike running, at idle, with no battery?

The reason I ask is, I ended up getting stranded about 20 miles from home, with a completely dead battery. The bike started up fine and ran fine on my way to the store. As I was leaving the store, went to start the bike, and it just did the dreaded "click". Tried to push start it but, the battery was so dead the gauge cluster wouldn't even turn on. I had a buddy come give me a jump. The bike would start up fine, but as soon as I removed the jumper cables it would die out. If I kept the bike above 4k RPM, it would run fine, but as soon as it went back to idle, it died. Picked up a new battery, and was able to make it home fine.

The battery that went dead, was only a year and a month old (of course, only one month out of warranty). I took it out of the bike, for the cold winter months and usually put it on the trickle charger about once a month. I guess I am surprised to see a well maintained battery die out so quickly. What are the chances my regulator/rectifier isn't working properly? It is the updated regulator for the late '05 - '06 models.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
No, bike will not work without a battery. Your battery was so dead that the rectifier couldn't charge it while you were riding. How long have you had the battery? Since 2005-6? That is a long time for a battery to last.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, bike will not work without a battery. Your battery was so dead that the rectifier couldn't charge it while you were riding. How long have you had the battery? Since 2005-6? That is a long time for a battery to last.
The battery was 13 months old (one month out of warranty, naturally :banghead:).

I put a new battery in that day and rode it home fine. I was just wondering if it is normal to not run with a completely dead battery or if I might have some problems with my rectifier, since it wouldn't stay running at idle.

I take fairly good care of my batteries, so the battery was not abused. I always take it out of the bike and put it in my house for the winter months. I also put in on the trickle charger, about once a month. I bought it from Batteries Plus, and based on price, I figured it was a fairly decent battery. Maybe my assumption was wrong? I did throw the dead battery on the trickle charger, just to see what would happen, and within a half hour it claimed it was at full charge. :ponder:

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Trickle charger only charges the battery, it's doesn't load test it. It's charged but as soon as you put a load on it, it goes flat.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you are still having issues every day with it after the charge I'd probably say it's safe to call it retired.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts