Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I've been offered to buy an almost brand new Showa kit shock.
It looks mighty nice, but I know absolutley nothing about what it can do, and how it compares to fx. an Öhlins TTX shock.
I'm sending it to one of the best suspension guys in the country to have him set it up for me.
Does anybody have any info about this shock, what it can and can't do, and if it's good or bad?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
dude, it's an HRC factory showa shock. wow. you just tapped into a goldmine bro. it don't get any better than that there shock. ohlins doesn't have $hit on HRC factory showa. that's basically like AMA superbike/WSBK material right there.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
not quite, AMA/WSB stuff uses the billet magnesium bodies^
its still a trick piece, but i dont think its any more advanced than the other top of the line shocks out there, ie: Ohlins TTX, Elka PB46 etc.

·
Debt Management Counselor
1,564 Posts
both are good shocks. i am very happy with my showa kit shock though. i will say that the showa is a much more stiff shock. we pulled the spring off a ttx and pulled the spring off the showa and pushed the shafts back into the body. the ohlins collapsed very easily. the showa took some muscle to get it to collapse. VERY stiff. if you like a stiff rear shock then you will LOVE the showa.

·
07 TRACK SLAG!
6,618 Posts
dude, it's an HRC factory showa shock. wow. you just tapped into a goldmine bro. it don't get any better than that there shock. ohlins doesn't have $hit on HRC factory showa. that's basically like AMA superbike/WSBK material right there.
as MX said,not quite mate, anyone can buy one of these from you local honda dealers, there is plenty on the markert which is the same standard or better.

you can have the best stuff in the world but in the person setting it up doesn't know their arsehole from there elbow your not gonna be any better of than running stock components.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
as MX said,not quite mate, anyone can buy one of these from you local honda dealers, there is plenty on the markert which is the same standard or better.

you can have the best stuff in the world but in the person setting it up doesn't know their arsehole from there elbow your not gonna be any better of than running stock components.

ok, well my understanding is that top-of-the-line Showa is superior to top-of-the-line Ohlins. this is why the fastest guys run showa and not ohlins in the top tiers of motorcycle racing.

·
07 TRACK SLAG!
6,618 Posts
^ hmm rossi, stoner and co are all ohlins runners,

in wsbk i think the only showa guys are alstare suzuki, everyone else is WP or ohlins.

As i said Showa is pretty much the same standard as everything else out there,

also top of the line factory showa/wp/ohlins etc etc is pretty much unobtainable to us mortals, unless you serious contacts in the paddock and a spare 30k to spend on suspension

the Showa which the OP has and the one on the honda basic racers are as stated over the counter customer shocks which are top quality

·
Registered
242 Posts
i do not know much but i do know ben spies used a showa setup to win a bunch of championships. i would say go with the showa chris18 because i always see olhins and wp on bikes but i never see a showa setup like that. plus unless you are a god at riding, i do not think that you are going to tell a difference between the top suspension manufactures.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
ok, well my understanding is that top-of-the-line Showa is superior to top-of-the-line Ohlins. this is why the fastest guys run showa and not ohlins in the top tiers of motorcycle racing.
ill let u in on a secret, this isnt top of the line Showa.
as i said before, look on the Yoshimura Suzuki bikes Mat and Ben ride, magnesium body, gas charged forks and shocks, they are pretty unobtainable to the public.
unless u are bcc, he always seems to get superbike hand me downs.

this shock comes stock on the HRC basic racer, its a huge improvement over stock, but in no way would u find one of these on a formula extreme bike, or superbike where the rules allow the hi dollar stuff.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
^ hmm rossi, stoner and co are all ohlins runners,

in wsbk i think the only showa guys are alstare suzuki, everyone else is WP or ohlins.

As i said Showa is pretty much the same standard as everything else out there,

also top of the line factory showa/wp/ohlins etc etc is pretty much unobtainable to us mortals, unless you serious contacts in the paddock and a spare 30k to spend on suspension

the Showa which the OP has and the one on the honda basic racers are as stated over the counter customer shocks which are top quality
this is just plain misinformation. rossi, stoner, pedrosa, hayden- all run showa. the only people who run ohlins are the satellite teams- ie. people like randy depuniet- and they are always having front end problems.

ohlins are great, don't get me wrong. in comparison to elka and penske, they are awesome. however, when you talk about the upper echelons of racing where you're spending $18,000 on forks and $6000 for custom-machined lowers, you're talking about showas.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
ill let u in on a secret, this isnt top of the line Showa.
as i said before, look on the Yoshimura Suzuki bikes Mat and Ben ride, magnesium body, gas charged forks and shocks, they are pretty unobtainable to the public.
unless u are bcc, he always seems to get superbike hand me downs.

this shock comes stock on the HRC basic racer, its a huge improvement over stock, but in no way would u find one of these on a formula extreme bike, or superbike where the rules allow the hi dollar stuff.
yes, i know it's not. i'm saying that top of the line showa is known to be better than top of the line ohlins. not saying this is top of the line.

·
Resident Arai Freak
2,808 Posts
this is just plain misinformation. rossi, stoner, pedrosa, hayden- all run showa. the only people who run ohlins are the satellite teams- ie. people like randy depuniet- and they are always having front end problems.
I believe that in MotoGP only Hondas run Showa suspension components, everyone else is on Ohlins. If the OP can pick up the shock for a good price then go for it, almost anything is better than the stock piece unless you match the weight of the spring.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I believe that in MotoGP only Hondas run Showa suspension components, everyone else is on Ohlins. If the OP can pick up the shock for a good price then go for it, almost anything is better than the stock piece unless you match the weight of the spring.
ok, i must've confused moto gp with AMA superbike where everyone runs showa, sorry.

·
07 TRACK SLAG!
6,618 Posts

ohlins are great, don't get me wrong. in comparison to elka and penske, they are awesome. however, when you talk about the upper echelons of racing where you're spending $18,000 on forks and $6000 for custom-machined lowers, you're talking about showas.
i think your abit off the mark there mate, all honda's apart from depuniet run showa, everyone else in the paddock run Ohlins

trust me i know my stuff when it comes to trick parts.

btw the way Chris's shock isn't from the upper echelons of racing, its from a basic racer, its a great shock that anyone with about $1000 spare cash can go buy from your local honda dealership.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
i think your abit off the mark there mate, all honda's apart from depuniet run showa, everyone else in the paddock run Ohlins

trust me i know my stuff when it comes to trick parts.

btw the way Chris's shock isn't from the upper echelons of racing, its from a basic racer, its a great shock that anyone with about $1000 spare cash can go buy from your local honda dealership.

ok, well sorry for being a :tard:. i'm not sure where i heard my misinformation. have you any idea why honda runs showa but everyone else runs ohlins? (in moto gp). also, why all the best in AMA run showa? (regardless of bike brand)

·
07 TRACK SLAG!
6,618 Posts
thats cool, it due to part ownership, many years ago honda bought a percentage of Showa, pretty similar situation to Yamaha owning Ohlins

The Ama situation I imagine is to do with factory support, in europe Showa doesn't really have any factory backing, you never see showa trucks at the tracks doing rebuilds and set-up like you do with Ohlins and WP, you do see Showa techs but they are normally a couple of guys working with one team.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts