Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 'O5 (not sure that matters with this Q, but there it is). Which is better for the bike when shutting off: turning the key off or engaging the kill switch?

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
yea there were a few different opinions on this. some ppl suggested that one method wore out certain switches more than other methods. i personally use the key. my brother always uses the kill switch. we both have had our 1kRR's for about the same amount of time(4yrs) and neither of us has had any problems caused by the method of turning the bike off.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Use the key too many problems with kill switches
such as causing headlight to milfunction

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I leave it gear and drop the kickstand, have to do it anyway might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Leaving the bike in gear keeps it from rolling especially on hills. I get the impression most people leave their bike in N when they park, bad idea imo.

K

·
0 Posts
the only way to shut the bike off is to switch the ignition to OFF. shutting the motor down.. now that's a different story.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
you have to turn yer key off and remove it anyway, why add more steps to something so simple? besides the best use for the kill switch is when you and yer boyz are sitting at a light, just as the light is changing reach over and kill their bike and take-off!! haha gotta keep em pay'n attention!

·
Registered
542 Posts
iono, i tend to turn the key and throw down the stand at the same time...never really used to kill switch though...

·
Registered
35 Posts
the only time i use the kill switch is for starting after the bike has sat for awhile. i want to get oil up into the engine by turning it over without all the strain of combustion @2000+ rpm with 'dry' internals. after about 15 seconds of cranking, i stop and turn the kill switch back on. then, happy start with no weird noises.

i shut off using the key - really all you need to do if you're gonna remove the key anyway.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
you have to turn yer key off and remove it anyway, why add more steps to something so simple? besides the best use for the kill switch is when you and yer boyz are sitting at a light, just as the light is changing reach over and kill their bike and take-off!! haha gotta keep em pay'n attention!
I absolutely hate idiots douches who play childish games with people's lives. :evil3:

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. My friends and I pull that crap all the time, no one has ever come even CLOSE to being in harm's way as a result of us screwing with each others kill switches. But then, we're not stupid about it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
besides the best use for the kill switch is when you and yer boyz are sitting at a light, just as the light is changing reach over and kill their bike and take-off!! haha gotta keep em pay'n attention!
<hijack>
Oh god, I hate that. My Mech does that to me constantly. In our Club dvd you can see how many times he does it to me. Now whenever I drive with him, I stop on the right of him or just cover the switch with my hand.
</hijack>

The key is the best to use imo.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts