Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can/does the clutch rattle if the friction plates are bad? Possible symptoms im having. Gear slippage (only one instance of very bad gear slippage), A very distinct rattle slightly similar to the ducati's dry clutch rattle but only at the 5-7k rpm range possibly coming from the clutch but I cant know for sure. Very minor but noticeable power loss in some cases similar to running out of gas but only in first gear when increasing rpm where you lurch forward almost as if the clutch is slipping then catching again. No power past 12-13k rpm as if the clutch cant handle the load past that rpm. Can any of these be tied to the clutch and is one instance of gear slippage enough to call the clutch totally done? The bike for the last two ride has been acting very weird almost as if the clutch is holding on for all it might before it completely losses friction. Its not the end of the world if I pay 160 for a clutch kit (springs/plates) but I would like to know as much as possible before spending. By no means will getting a new clutch be a bad thing because im at 24xxx miles with the stock clutch. But Like I said id rather not buy just yet if the clutch isnt the problem because if the clutch isnt the problem i have a much bigger problem to worry about.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry this was very poorly written. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything that you dont understand. Thanks

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
way we used to check our dirt bikes was to put front wheel into a wall, and with bike in 3rd gear let out clutch.
Bike stalls as clutch engages.......you can easily feel if it is slipping.....

works best on dirt,where there is less traction....

That's all i got

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Can/does the clutch rattle if the friction plates are bad?
A very distinct rattle slightly similar to the ducati's dry clutch rattle but only at the 5-7k rpm range possibly coming from the clutch but I cant know for sure.

I have been through two clutches on my bike and I dont recall any rattles, the rattle can be the cct which commonly goes bust on our bikes

Very minor but noticeable power loss in some cases similar to running out of gas but only in first gear when increasing rpm where you lurch forward almost as if the clutch is slipping then catching again.
Clutch slip doesn't feel like running out of gas. It feels like slightly pulling the clutch lever while accelerating, where the engine races up in the rpms without the regular forward pull of the bike.

No power past 12-13k rpm as if the clutch cant handle the load past that rpm.
The load is more depending on how much u open throttle and resistance (speed), than rpm. The highest load is @ wot in the the higher gears. A clutch that is beginning to fail will start slipping @ wot in 4th and above, however may still be able to pull all the way through first and 2nd...if u build speed gradually in 1st with little throttle up till 12 k rpm, u should be able to go through to redline slowly even with a bad clutch, however if u go Wot in 4th, at say 30mph, and suddenly as u hit high torques at 7-8k rpm the engine goes screaming to 15 k with half the expected pull, then clearly the clutch can't handle the load.

...is one instance of gear slippage enough to call the clutch totally done? The bike for the last two ride has been acting very weird almost as if the clutch is holding on for all it might before it completely losses friction.
A mildly notched clutch basket, warped plate, burnt discs or broken spring can cause the problem to initially be somewhat inconsistent, so unless u just want to cruise at corolla pace, I think u should open the cover and give it a look... But first make sure its actually clutch slip...imho

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Damnit damnit damnit

With a worn out clutch even on a highway it's easy to feel how revs go up but the bike won't accelerate... It's like reviing on neutral.

--- Damn this awesome forum for instantly informing me of my problem via a simple search---- My 07 is screaming and mid way into her scream she finally catches up and the acceleration catches up.... Angry cause I can't tell what I might have done to her to cause this Clutch problem .. And I KNOW its Gonna Cost ME..............

Well heres to I hope its just the PowerCommander

1 - 6 of 6 Posts