Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 600rr
12,000 mi

Issue - replaced pads. I tested, they work great although little soft in the brake lever and can see that the fluid level has dropped in the front brake resiviour. While doing so, piston on caliper came out. Leaked brake fluid/lost brake fluid. Whats the easiest way to bleed the lines or is there any specific order or manner in doing so?

What kinda brake fluid to use or just regular DOT 3 brake fluid?

Do I have to take off the front plastic to easily access the front brake resiviour to fill?

·
Registered
118 Posts
You should bleed the brakes once a year, and it's really easy with speed bleeders to do by yourslef. I just turned the wheel to gain access to the resiviour, and no need to remove plastics. Sportbiketrackgear.com has some videos that helped me. Bought speed bleeders and installed those first. Barely any fluid leaks out while you install those. Then removed the old pads and used a toothbrush with chain cleaner to clean off the piston/caliper. Open the speed bleeder, and push the pistons back in. Close the bleeder and pump the brakes to make sure the pistons are clean, and will squeeze on the pad evenly. Install the new pads, and I used steel wool to clean off the old pad material on the rotors. Mount the calipers, and open the speed bleeders again to start bleeding one caliper at a time. Never let the master cylinder res go dry of fluid. I bleed each side just below the low line on the res. Was really pretty easy, and definitely worth it. I left my brake lever zip tied over night, and got a very nice lever. Broke my new pads in the next day, and then went to the track that week. I used Motul RBF 600, which I believe is DOT 4. It's working well on the street and track. Also installed EBC HH brake pads.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great info from both! Some have been saying DOT 5... Didnt know if that would hurt. They say its better. I as well put on the EBC HH along with the EBC rotors. WOW. Very nice and quiet from the HH. The organic pads are terrible with noise. Great on stopping power though! Replaced brakes all the way around. Rotors & Pads. Again, much thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went ahead and added DOT 4. Did a full fluid flush and fill. Gets to be a mess. Easy but greasy! Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
166 Posts
Don't use dot 5 if it take dot 3/4 it turns to sludge and will rot hoses and seals

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts