Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://consumer.simplegreen.com/images/cons_prod_con_img_sin_max.jpg
is simple green max (automotive formula) safe to use on aluminum? i can't seem to find a good answer anywhere. my bike got dirty as a pig in sh#t from gettin stuck in a 50 mile rain ride. it was so dirty i didn't want to rub it with a mit or anything. it still needs a good detailed wash but i needed to get most of the muck off first. i bought some simple green max automotive, took the bike out of the garage, sprayed her down with the garden hose till she was good and soaked, sprayed the simple green over the entire bike, let it sit for 2 beers (5 minutes max), then hosed her off. it worked pretty good and i'd use it again if the bike gets that dirty. i hope i didn't screw anything up. thanks.:dontknow:

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Tough to say, the MSDS: http://www.simplegreen.com/pdfs/07_msds_pro_series_max.pdf Shows a pH of 9.35 + or - 0.8 Anything above pH 9.0 will start to go after aluminum unless it is silicated.

The test I use at work is to soak a peice of aluminum foil in it for a few minutes and see if it attacks that.

If it screwed up the aluminum, you'd have seen it. My swing arm is streaked to **** from a cleaner I tested on it. It also dulled the paint on the upper tripple at the same time. Damn was the bike clean though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the aluminum still looks normal. i would'nt think simple green would formulate a product for automotive use (cleaning engine bays, road tar bugs, etc... since today's engines are mostly aluminum and it seems to me it must be safe to spray on paint if your gonna clean off bugs and road tar.:confused1

·
Wheelies Do Not Stop At 12.00 o'clock try 15.00
1,099 Posts
yes i told you what i know. I was really into showing cars for the last 5 years.. it works well on certain things... when its concentrated right. I know it says that you can just straight spray it.. but i dont.. all it took was one time to get under the paint and dull my pc/polished alum wheels.. after that i concentrated the **** out of it wiht water.. kinda nuetralizes it.. LIke i said in my first post elbow grease and soap and water works fuggin wonders.. Just make shure to flip the towel over and keep the place your rubbing soapy the soap acts as a lube.. trust me.. over the years ive gained some neat car cleaning tips and simple green is simply a nightmare if not used with alot of caution

1 - 7 of 7 Posts