Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have talked to several people about cleaning my bike. I know alot of guys use the honda cleaner, but several people mentioned to use Simple Green directly to my bike and wiping it off.
What do ya'll think?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
As long as it won't damage the clear coat your fine, I imagine it will work like dish soap and clean the bike down to it (clear coat). Would advise against frequent washes with it but otherwise you're probably fine.

I've used GooGone on my clear coat to get sticker gunk off, seems fine so far.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i was at a gas station once and saw someone selling these cans of wax/cleaner stuff. he tested it out on the rims of my car and it was the greatest thing i ever saw! works on just about any surface. so i bought 2 cans for 20 bucks. thats what i use for it. makes it look so shiny. and keeps it waxed. i can't find anymore and i only have half a can left.:sad3:. as for the rims. i hear wash them with soap and water and use used dryer sheets on them. anyone know where i can get a lower left fairing for a 2005? flat black if possible. PM me if so thanks.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
xHotMicx isn't there any info on the can? let me know i'll pick some up as well
Same thing happened to me - only I didn't buy any. Stuff is everywhere man, Honda Polish is basically the same thing minus some of the cleaner. Current stuff I have is called Fukken Wax - smells kinda soapy but has a real nice shine. Original bike spirits is probably the same stuff.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just use honda polish (or whatever the company that makes it is calling it these days) when I want to shine it up a bit. When I wash it I just use a typical car wash.

·
Registered
452 Posts
For the fairings and painted surfaces, just wash it with a basic car washing shampoo. It is made for painted surfaces, won't strip the wax off and is just right for getting the day to day road grime off. For more stubborn areas, grab a micro fiber towell and some Quick Detailer to spot detail. As for the wheels, brakes and drive-chain area use a mild soap that has grease cutting capabilities (Dawn, Ajax and most other liquid dish soaps are fine) and a nylon bristled brush to break the stuff loose. If that still doesn't do the trick, step up to a bio degradable degreaser such as Orange Glow or Simple Green. Start out with it diluded 2:1 and get it clean!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I wash my bike with car soap followed by a spray sealant. I clean my chain with Simple Green and a Grunge brush. When my bike is a little dusty, I just go over it with a quick detailer.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
IMO I think simple green might be a little to potent to spray directly on your bike....I wouldn't do it myself... O N the same not i DO USE Simple Green to clean my chain and hard to clean grime on occasion...but i wouldn't feel comfortable spraying it directly on the plastics

·
Registered
532 Posts
another trick for an all purpose cleaner that wont damage surfaces is 1gal of hot water to 1cup white vinegar. Its gentle enough to be on your hands, car/bike paint, plastics, metal, wood, everything. I use it for cleaner hardwood floors, the walls in my house, but its even strong enough for cleaning the chain, and getting that gunk off. For super power make it 2 cups vinegar and 1/2cup baking soda. This makes it stronger yets the baking soda neutralizes it so its not damaging.
Just for the heads up..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ive used Simple Green to clean my bike off a couple times. Good for getting the bugs off. I use 2 microfiber cloths while cleaning it though. Spray on, wipe with 1 towel, then dry with the next towel. No problems here.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
like Dr.Spank said,
the only thing I use simple green is for cleaning the chain (unless i find motorex 611 chain clean on sale).
Although biodegradable, Simple Green is very concentrated and may be too strong for our plastics after constant use.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Simple green is probably the best thing I've used to clean my plastics that have soot build up. If your bike runs rich, your tail section or tail light might be yellow/brown from all the soot colleted on it. Spray some Simple green and that stuff just drips right off. Works really well on cleaning your lower engine area near the oil pan.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i use car soap and elbow grease, a good wax every 2 months, and a good spray detailer between waxes. to clean the wheels if there really dirty i use brake cleaner, or i use Palmolive dish soap. i dont suggest using dishsoap on your plastics unless you want to strip off all of the wax off, it will end up making your bike look a little dull after a while..

a good car wash soap goes a long way!! but if your cheap i hear baby soap (johnson) works good as well. My aunt uses it all the time on her car and its showroom condition

·
Registered
132 Posts
I use simple green on the rims. It can be diluted and still works great. I use Liquid Performance Cycle Wash on the plastics. Like simple green, its biodegradeable. Spray it on and rinse it off. Just a little rubbing takes the bugs right off. The only thing is that you have to stay on it in terms of rinsing it off on a sunny day. If it manages to dry on the plastics before getting rinsed off, it can leave a white film.

·
Registered
324 Posts
303 Protectant. It makes everything look like new, but it is not a polish. On paint I use Zaino.

Zaino is by far the BEST wax i have ever used!!! I highly recomend it and it last almost a whole summer without having to wax it again. I just wash it and use a little of the spray polish (also from Zaino) to buff any dullness if it even needs it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
if you are using the regular version labeled simple green then I would dilute it. I would be worried about your trim because it it can cause it to dull over time. All purpose cleaner usually means concentrate so you should dilute it according to the website or better yet use another product from the simple green line that is specified for cleaning clear coat car etc....

iie. this prouduct states it wouldn't harm your trim etc.....
http://www.simplegreen.com/products_bike.php

personally i will never use simple green. The regular version is a very good degreaser however it is known to strip the clear coat off alum wheels. Lets just say i learned that the hard way haha.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts