Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I did a search to see how many of you guys use this stuff to clean your bikes. It turns out that quite a few of you use it to clean your chains, but how many of you use it to clean your bikes? I have used it for various other things and it really seems to take the crap off of whatever surface I'm working with. Do any of you guys use this stuff as like a spray on wash, let it sit for a while and then hose it? Are you using just the regular concentrate, and if so how are you diluting it? I'm unsure as to how it may mess with my paint, or if it even will at all. Is there something better?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I use dow scrubbing bubbles on the rims swing arm and chain. Works good for me.

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
Here is what i do to clean my bike. I use a wet diaper to clean all the bugs and dust off. Then i take another damp diaper and apply Turtle Wax and i let it dry. Then i take another dry diaper and wipe all the wax off. It works like Magic. As for the swing arm and such, i use goo gone to get all the grease off.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
This might sound weird but try it ( Pledge ) yes PLEDGE no need for the honda polish

·
Registered
70 Posts
pledge is the bomb

Pledge is definatley the best kept secret. Looks like glass when your done, just watch the fingerprints

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Does pledge not make a bunch of dirt and dust stick to the bike first time you take it out though?

As for the simple green. I'm sure it's ok to use dilluted but it probably strips your wax off. So, I'd only do it when you were cleaning the bike before a full wax.

·
Registered
102 Posts
pledge is about the worst thing you can use to clean your bike. I am actually shrieking at the idea of somebody doing that.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
thman said:
pledge is about the worst thing you can use to clean your bike. I am actually shrieking at the idea of somebody doing that.
Do you have some reason for saying that? I'm not really knowledgeable either way myself, but I know several people on here that have said it's great; just never tried it personally.

·
Registered
141 Posts
don't use simple green. my father use to clean his bike with it and found that is dries out anything rubber. You know what happens when rubber dries out, it cracks. I use Honda Polish

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys.
I think that I will just stick with soap and H2O, or go find something that is meant to be a spray and wash, or...finally give honda polish a shot since I have heard so much good from it.

thman- thanks for the reasoning, and insight form your experience. That is a nice write up on the Meguiar's page. I don't know much about detailing, but may try some of those teqniques in the future.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
simple green is only good for the wheels, shouldn't be used for paint and even on the wheels you shouldn't let it sit for more than a few seconds. Its not gonna dry out the tires unless you let it sit there for a while (assuming your not spraying the tires with it). The run-off from the wheels won't hurt as long as you rinse quickly. I use simple green all the time around the shop, my dad sells it so we have a crap load of it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Please don't take fire1811's advice. Plexus is designed to be used on unpainted plastic, not painted materials. The best cleaner you can use is a dedicated car soap, the best polish is a dedicated automotive polish, and the best protector you can use is an automotive sealant.

Plexus works great on unpainted plastics but many people are so uneducated or surface car that they believe since there bike is made of plastic that plastic polishes are okay to use on it. Your bike is painted with a base coat/clear coat and only dedicated automotive products should be used on it. There is a lot of misinformation on surface prep.

I have 8 years working on paint, and I am certified by both the SAE and Meguiar's for paint refinishing and automotive detailing. I have made a living fixing what other people do to their cars and motorcycles. I am also employeed by Meguiar's to do personal education for DIY's as well as teaching and updating detailer's on proper techinques.... I cringe at the thought of somebody using Plexus on paint...

·
Registered
52 Posts
thman said:
Please don't take fire1811's advice. Plexus is designed to be used on unpainted plastic, not painted materials. The best cleaner you can use is a dedicated car soap, the best polish is a dedicated automotive polish, and the best protector you can use is an automotive sealant.

Plexus works great on unpainted plastics but many people are so uneducated or surface car that they believe since there bike is made of plastic that plastic polishes are okay to use on it. Your bike is painted with a base coat/clear coat and only dedicated automotive products should be used on it. There is a lot of misinformation on surface prep.

I have 8 years working on paint, and I am certified by both the SAE and Meguiar's for paint refinishing and automotive detailing. I have made a living fixing what other people do to their cars and motorcycles. I am also employeed by Meguiar's to do personal education for DIY's as well as teaching and updating detailer's on proper techinques.... I cringe at the thought of somebody using Plexus on paint...
hmm first I have heard of this. Probably true but I havnt had a problem. I guess you better listen to the professional.

Edit* Says on can that it is designed for painted and clear coated plastics

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I use Goo Gone on the whole bike (rims too) to get any bugs or gunk off the bike then I pressure wash her down. Once she's dried I use this stuff called Black Magic on all of the plastics. It makes them nice and shiney.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts