Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to tow my bike back home in Sept from NJ to WA and I put Single Motorcycle Trailer in google and saw a trailer that just hooks up the front wheel anyone use that kind of trailer? would it be safe to travel 2500 miles?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
so, your rear wheel would be dragging along?

dude..I don't know if I would trust one of those things. Might as well say goodbye to your rear tire too.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
i know the trailer type your thinking of, as i have seen it many of times when i was on the highways in nevada, but they are mainly designed for the Harley type crowd that already have square tyres, think about it the cost of a new rear tyre vs the cost of a trailer alone??

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
that will put some wear on your chain/sprockets/tire. i'd just go to tractor supply and pick up a 4x8 trailer and call it a day (that will run ya just under 400)

·
Registered
796 Posts
I too am shopping around for a single bike trailer as well.
I am familiar with the one you're looking at where you "tow" the bike. As others have mentioned above, I don't think it's a good idea because you do put that many miles of wear on your rear tire, as well as your chain and sprockets.

"Phatmitzu" sells trailers on this forum. You could also check out your local home depot if they sell small landscaping trailers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I kinda figured... the other ones are so much money though :( anyone know a good company that makes a decent one for a good price?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Well, after reading the motorcycle tow dolly descriptions, if you remove the chain off the rear sprocket, the only thing moving would be the rear tire and suspension.
So the only thing wearing down is the rear tire. They also mention that it would be reduced wear because:
1. Less weight due to no passengers.
2. The motorcycle would only be rolling. (Not accelerating, turning, or stopping.) So tire wear wouldn't be too terrible.
However, it would still be open to damage from potholes, road kill, nails, etc.
http://www.prohoists.com/Shopping.idc?ProductID=35

It may be a decent option if you don't plan on transporting your bike a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts