Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the way that a single sided swing arm looks. Why has honda used single sided swingarms only with the VFRs? Is there a reason that none of the CBRs have ever had single sided swingarms?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
hmm couldnt tell u why they havent but i could tell you why they use the double sided swingarm. they've had amazing results with the double sided swingarms and no one's complaining about it. i think if they were to switch to single sided swingarms.. they'd have to do a lot of homework.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I was wondering this too, and also if any body has done a mode like this to any of their cbr's

I think it would look super bicth'en, so if you have let see the pics

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
one sided swingarm weighs much more than a doublesided swingarm for the same strength, one sided swingarm are now found on sport-touring bikes like VFR, it's more of a style than a performance enhancement.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
OveRReV said:
one sided swingarm weighs much more than a doublesided swingarm for the same strength, one sided swingarm are now found on sport-touring bikes like VFR, it's more of a style than a performance enhancement.
ahhhh, it would look cool though

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
maybe for even weight distrubution i just saw a honda commerical for the new cr250 and they said they put dual exhaust tips on each side for better weight distro but thats probably just a gimmick.

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
It definately is a gimmick. If anything it's just adding more weight to the bike because if you look under the tail it's a normal exhaust with another pipe thats attached to the midpipe and splits over to the other side.

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
yeah I like the way they look but I'll keep what I got. I think they sell a one sided for the R1 so you can put a super fat tire on the back.

·
Registered
346 Posts
A buddy of mine has an old ('00 or '01) Triumph 955i Daytona, and honestly it looks pretty sweet w/ the single swingarm. Triumph got rid of it for a while, but had it back like a year or two ago - don't know if the current 955i has it or not though.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The single-sided swing arm is a great idea for endurance racing, as it can allow for very quick wheel changes. But it is not too great in a typical high performance situation. The swingarm must be stronger due to the high torsional loads it experiences, and the axle and related components must be must stronger as well. If you hold a bike tire and spin it as fast as you can, while holding it, it remains stable. But if you wack it on the radial edge while its spinning, it looses stability and will wobble out of control (thus a speed wobble). double sided arms fight this by inherant design, on a single sided arm the tolerances must be exact, the strength must be far greater than that of a double sided arm. Any small amount of torsion on a single sider could end your day at the races, and with 600's putting out an average of 100hp and up its no wonder that they all have double sided arms now...

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
I agree, a full swingarm is better but you just can't beat the look of a single. I have always loved the look myself and wanted one too.

Jason

1 - 15 of 15 Posts