Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was about to jump on my bike after work tonight when I flipped on my head lamp switch for my low beam( About a month a go I installed a switch for my low beam to put less stress on the battery from my hid's during start up). My light started flashing on and of almost exactly like a turn signal. I kept trying to flip the switch on and off but got the same results.

I rode home with my high beam on and about half way home I flipped the switch again and my low beam turned on and stayed on. When I got home I tried repeating the results but got nothing.

When I installed the switch I spliced the power wire coming off the ballast to the light. I soldered my connection and heat shrunk the wires afterwards. Any ideas on what it could be? I've had my hid's for over two years and previously had a relay connected but I switched to a switch to save room inside my fairings. Never had any issues before hand.

Thanks
Cristian

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May just be the globe dying...

Did both sides do it or just one?
Just the low beam. I don't know why but I suspect the ballast. I'm try switching the bulb and ballast to see if I can reproduce the symptoms again.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Just switch the bulb or ballast, not both :)

If you move the bulb and the fault moves, new bulb... if it doesn't, new ballast.

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just switch the bulb or ballast, not both :)

If you move the bulb and the fault moves, new bulb... if it doesn't, new ballast.
Ha, that's what I meant. I just hope it's not anything other than the two as I would have no idea what else it might be.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
If the problem is with the HIDs it has to be one or the other.

It would also be worth checking all of the connections to make sure they are getting a full 12V

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
I never used a switch or relay and have had years of trouble free HID operation on multiple bikes. K.I.S.S. works.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Has the bike been wet (washed or rained on etc) since the last time the low beam had been switched on? Is the extra switch waterproof?

Also if the ballast gets its positive supply from the OEM low beam circuit.. (Is that what its wired into?) The positive supply for the low beam comes from the starter circuit inside the starter/kill switch, I've had poor connections inside the switch which causes the low beam to work intermittently.

·
Registered
868 Posts
mine do this when warming up if i have hi and lo on.. i usually turn it on let the lo warm up and then switch on the hi...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Hey buddy

i had my far share of HID headlight wars early this season.
Everyone sounds right.
i dont know what kit you have, but also check those blue & red wires that lead from the bulb to the little ' control box ' that leads to the ballast.
my wires kinda got twisted and squashed and thus gave me issues.

soldering should be good, but try to check those connections too..
( i use those gator clamp type things, but got rid of them when i did the rewiring )

good luck with it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts