Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2003 CBR600rr with 10,000 miles on it. Not abused!
I have an audible ticking noise coming from engine. Not really loud. Just a slight tick that you can pick out. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from.
Cam chain and CCT seem to be fine. Not that kind of noise anyway.
The "tick" increases and decreases with engine RPM.
Valve noise? With only 10,000 miles, seems a little early for an adjustment.
But I was wondering if it could be the fuel injectors that are emmitting that "ticking" sound.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
bill

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Bill
its the injectors bro

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
cbr600rrkid said:
Thanks Moeman!
So this not something that requires maintainence or repair?
Normal occurrence than?

Thanks,
bill
yes and once the bike is warmed up they should quite down a bit

·
Registered
757 Posts
Awesome mOeman funny i read this this morning when warmin up my bike i heard this ticking exactly as described. But just as u said after it warmed up i listened for it when i parked at school it was gone.

One thing i didn't really hear it get louder as i reved too much engine noise.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
cbr600rrkid said:
Moeman,
it really never quiets down, it just stays the same!

Thanks,
bill
In that case it might be your CCT
cam chain tensioner or of course your valves
it would be cheaper to switch the cam chain
tensioner into a manual one if the tapping
remains then its the valves so look into
it and keep us updated
Best of luck

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
moeman said:
In that case it might be your CCT
cam chain tensioner or of course your valves
it would be cheaper to switch the cam chain
tensioner into a manual one if the tapping
remains then its the valves so look into
it and keep us updated
Best of luck
Thanks a bunch!

Regards,
bill

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
What oil weight are you guys running? 15W-50 or 20W-50 oil will make the CCT tick like a lifter on cold starts. If the problem goes away after you rev the bike slightly, that's probably the cause.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NewRedRider said:
What oil weight are you guys running? 15W-50 or 20W-50 oil will make the CCT tick like a lifter on cold starts. If the problem goes away after you rev the bike slightly, that's probably the cause.
I'm running 10-40 Castrol.
BTW, a Mechanic checked the bike and ruled out the CTT. He thinks it's injectors too! But the "ticking" never goes away. Barely audible, but always there!

bill

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
cbr600rrkid said:
I'm running 10-40 Castrol.
BTW, a Mechanic checked the bike and ruled out the CTT. He thinks it's injectors too! But the "ticking" never goes away. Barely audible, but always there!

bill
The CCT or valve noise is very audiable and will get louder as
the revs get higher

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I wonder why some of these bikes have such loud injectors? Knock on wood, mine don't tick like that. But I know others do.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the same problem that i just noticed today. It stops ticking when i pull in the clutch and doesnt come back even when i rev with the clutch in. Im not sure what it is but im taking it to the dealer. It could be loose gears from what a guy at work told me. I have only 350 miles on my bike.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mine was making a ticking noise a while back and it ended up being that the exshuast had worked its self losse from the motor... So check those studs that connect the header to the motor.. good luck and let us know

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
powderblueRR said:
Mine was making a ticking noise a while back and it ended up being that the exshuast had worked its self losse from the motor... So check those studs that connect the header to the motor.. good luck and let us know
I'll check that out!!

Thanks,
bill

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well,
after reading numerous posts about CBR600rr "ticks, clacks and clangs", I'm still a little confused over this "tick" in mine.
I again, had another Tech listen to it, and he thinks it might be CCT.
I'll explain the symptoms even more....
I start the bike up cold, it's quiet as a Church Mouse. After it warms up, the engine develops this "ticking" noise. Not a "knock" or "rap", or "rattle". Barely audible, but it's there during idle and throughout the rev range.
Now the reason I'm somewhat confused is, reading about "noisy" CCT'ers, they seem to be noisy when the engine is cold, and quiet down when engine is warm. That's not the case with me, it's just the opposite.
I just assume to ignore the annoying noise, if it is harmless, if I could get a definative diagnosis. Maybe all it is is the common "Honda Tick"

Thanks,
bill

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
By your last description it does sound like the injectors ticking. The CCT is pretty audible and is on the right side of the bike.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Bill
i said it all along and i still say it ** its the injectors **

1 - 20 of 27 Posts