Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering abouta slipper clutch. I do most 98 percent of my riding on the streets here in and around the mountains. Deals gap some and such places. I am signed up to do some track days also. My question is, on the street is a slipper clutch a good idea or no.. For no more track days ill be doing should i invest in one? Does it or will it affect my street riding much? i ride a 08 600rr, and would like to know before i decide to spend money on something that i may potentionally may not need..

Thanks in advance.

drop

·
07 TRACK SLAG!
6,659 Posts
honestly, its abit of a waste of money on a street bike and you will never really get your moneys worth using on a street bike cos you can't push hard enough on the street to really need one.

on the track they are awesome, but again if your not pushing hard i would say hold off till you are running advanced group/racer times

hope this helps

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Not to thread jack, along the same topic and price range:

Which would be wise to invest in first for a 85% Street Rider (Deals Gaps..etc) 15% Track Day goer

Ohlins TTX Rear Shock
CZ Wheels

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
When I got my bike I had a good budget and was geared to mod the crap out of my bike. But after realizing I mostly ride on the street I came to terms that those mods would be a huge waste of money.......especially with the LEO's enforcing the highway traffic act the way they do up here.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Yea I am also with Paul, but would take it a step further to say that I actually don't like the slipper on the street.

My 08 1000RR came with one stock and I don't like it when on the street. I am so used to down shifting and using the engine braking to shed most of my speed. Not no mo!

And with that being said, the OEM Honda slipper isn't nearly as good as the Yoyo in my 600RR at the track!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
i love my yoyodyne on my track 600. however i disagree that you should wait until you are an advanced rider until you get one. this is why. the beginner rider hasnt learned to finess the clutch yet. if you bang a downshift too hard into too low of a gear the rear could lock up on you right before a corner. a slipper would save that.

it would still let you know you messed up via a massive rpm increase but without the hassle of losing the bike. if you are riding perfectly you would never know the slipper is even there.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
+1^^^ Absolutely!!!

On the track you would probably benefit from it the most as a newbie...

Coming into a corner too hot with the rear end sliding around can do a number on your confidence! Where a more experienced riding will be better at selecting his entry speed and be better at his throttle/clutch control.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
see, this is where I disagree with the guys that say it's good for a noob.

I learned alot about clutch control at the track having the rear end whip out and at times shake like a madman before turn in.

I guess I traded some advanced clutch skills in place of a slipper clutch. They're cool, though, especially when chasing down your lap times to the tenths of a second.

For an 85% street rider, and for 95% of the riding population, a wiser investment would be getting your suspension set for your weight.

That means getting your forks worked on (revalved and resprung for your weight) and getting a better rear shock sprung for your weight (whichever you choose, entry level is fine for a street/trackday guy).

I guess with my experience, I figured the #1 difference maker is suspension, followed by tires, then brakes, then everything else.

best mod for fun, 520 conversion with -1 tooth in the front sprocket. Overall, I consider that the best mod for the money. serious fun out of such a cheap and easy mod.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Nes, Not saying that it's not good to learn it the hard way... But you can learn with the slipper too. It's just that if you don't get it right the results are a little more safe! LOL

And yea Suspension should ALWAYS be the first mod!!!! But he was asking about the slipper... lol

I just think that a nOOb can benefit from it as well!!! It lets you have more confidence, and if you have a slipper, and these days once you have one the odds are you will never have to ride without one, so the older benefit of learner to ride without one kinda goes out the window... Since you probably never will have to ride without one again...

·
BOTM 06/2008
1,395 Posts
Learn how to ride almost as fast as the fast guys in the fast group using the old blib/shift method "which however is great fun to learn. Then buy yourself a slipper clutch and shave the last milliseconds off, and be proud you are maybe the fastest dude on track :D

Economical beginning, and you will gett so much more pleasure when u finally get that slipper clutch.

I wouldn't invest in one yet for my part. Wanna learn it the oldschool way.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
it might be a little safer, yes. But after going through the experiences of wanting to shave off tenths (and the headaches, cuss words, frustration, denials that comes with it, lolol) the slipper will be MUCH more rewarding to an experienced track junkie.

I liked learning old school clutch control...and by the time I was in the Intermediate group, I had grown comfortable with the rear whipping out a little when I engaged the clutch aggressively.

It's fun man! F**kin bike shakes like mad, the rear end whips out, you're about to pass the guy in front of you, and you gotta make a decision cuz turn 1 is coming up after the 160mph straight.

LEARN OLD SCHOOL!!!! =)

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
i cant appreciate the need to learn the lesson. i just dont want to highside :toothy4:

stil i think we can all agree that for mainly streetbike they are a waste. even suspension wise anything more than maybe a respring and getting it that set up, you would have to be breaking the speed limits to take advantage of it.

which is why i wish i had my oem suspension now on my 1000rr. i put full ohlins on it for the track and then decided to get the 600.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
My question though is, why learn old skool then change? It's that pointless?

And I think you would benefit the most riding the most time with what ever equipment you plan to run... Changing equipment makes you alter your riding style...

IMO riding 4 weeks with the slipper you would end up faster than you would 2 weeks without then 2 weeks with...

Guess it's all about opinion...

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I was thinking about this... I think part of it comes down to the opinion as to why the rear end is backing out...

I say this because many people think that you can't back it in with a slipper clutch, which actually isn't true! It's just much harder to do! Which is why (obviously) it's a good thing...

Without the slipper you often, not always but often, are backing it in because of the rear wheel speed compared to the travel speed, we all know this causes the rear to "hop" when combined with heavy braking, right? Then add in initiating a turn and you get the full affect...

Well with a slipper you have to be EXTREMELY hard on the brakes to get that rear to begin to lift, because you do not have the added engine braking helps the rear to break traction, right?

So the way I see it is that without the slipper you are simply learning the skills or limits of the rears traction. With the slipper you are learning the limits of the braking. IMO the later is the obvious choice to focus on!

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
IMO riding 4 weeks with the slipper you would end up faster than you would 2 weeks without then 2 weeks with...

Guess it's all about opinion...
I know you're a dedicated trackday junkie like me, and have seen your fair share of time on 2 wheels, but I'm gonna kindly disagree with you.

When given less tools, you learn to compensate. You learn a skill that you wouldn't need otherwise. Any time you have another skill in your skill set, you're a better rider.

I think that 2 weeks without, then 2 weeks with, you'd be much faster (in lap time terms...which probably adds up to a couple seconds at best).

Why? Because you'd learn how to use (maybe to a lesser degree) the previous skill you had. Good clutch technique is essential, maybe moreso without the slipper clutch, yes. But an essential technique, nonetheless.

Case in point, watch when the pros test the stock streetbikes in videos. They're just as impressive on the stock bike as they are on their modified racebikes.

Just watch Danny Eslick here....No traction control, no slipper, and still no holding back...easily lifting the rear, going in sideways....entertaining stuff.

And this only goes to show, even further, how meaningless a slipper clutch would be on the street. we're talking about if a Pro racer kicks major ass without it...why would you "need" it??

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
yea Danny is a mad man!

I see your point too... I just feel that I would benefit most from getting used to a tool and technique that I will actually use in the future than learn one that I know I am going to abandon... Especially when you can STILL back it in with a slipper...

All about preference! :)

We agree! LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.