Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was my third trackday and DAMN it was hot! Anyway, despite being roasted in my own juices I think I'm making some progress. The comparison of my first day and today at the same corner...

First Trackday (this was as good as it got):

Today (pretty much an average shot):

I focused on getting my upper body down and lower to the inside today along with getting my feet and hands into better positions. All of those things feel foreign at first but I started getting a better feel for what worked and what didn't as the day went on.

I "sprung" for the $30 suspension setup by the local guru's it really did make a world of difference. I was really struggling early in the day to keep the bike stable. Unless I got my weight 'just right' the bike was pogosticking all over the place. The guy said there are still some tweaks to be made but with the suspension on the bike right now it's pretty close to where it needs to be. I do know that after the change I was able to carry a lot more corner speed with bike stable and that allowed me to start stepping up my pace because I had more confidence that I wouldn't be fighting the bike.

I guess I'm getting "better" because I started getting really frustrated with the number of guys on liter bikes that were amazingly slow in the corners but wrapped that sucker WFO on the straights. The instructors got onto a few guys for it because they were really holding everyone up. When I say slow I'm talking about doing 20mph in corners that I was averaging 50-60. It's cool that we're all learning but damn guys move the **** over once in a while will ya...:cursin:

Oh, and notice that I took y'all's advice and ditched the long frame sliders for a set of Woodcraft's... :banger:

Can't wait for day 4.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Lookin good man! Theres a ton of advice to be had on here. Im about in the same boat as you form wise. Cant wait to get back on the track.

I also get PISSED when 1k's drop anchor EVERY corner!! However, my 3rd TD I was moved up to intermediate and could pass them. Dayam they get pissed.:bootyshak

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,790 Posts
good show! we're always here watching updates from your trackdays.

i'm getting envious again, need to hit the track soon.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Nice man, looks like you're getting there. Try to get your forearm and chest to rest on the gas tank. That's a start, it will help you to "hook" through corners more.

·
Registered
580 Posts
i hate those slow liter bikes! This one dude couldn't corner during the first few sessions

(same situation, 20km/h through a 60km/h turn) and later manages to ride at pace. He

then gets a 'best improved rider for the day'. WTF lol. I wouldn't be so pissed if it were

just the award but the prize is another track day! Bugger, I wanted that!

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I can definitley see the progress... looking good man.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice man, looks like you're getting there. Try to get your forearm and chest to rest on the gas tank. That's a start, it will help you to "hook" through corners more.
Thx Niner, I looked at my pic's and my forarm is hovering about 1/2 inch above the tank in about half of them and just touching in the other half. Like this:

This one is from an early session and farther into the corner. I have a habit of being lazy with my position on the entry to the corners so I dont' get all the way down until I'm already IN the turn. One more thing to work on...:cruising:

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Nice man, hard to see good, but looks like your arm is resting along side the tank, get it over the tank. Your arm pit should be centered over the gas cap.

The difference is that it'll show that you are getting over (from side to side) and when/if your forearm/bicep and chest are resting on top of the tank you know that you're getting down.

Look at the armpit location and notice the chest.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice man, hard to see good, but looks like your arm is resting along side the tank, get it over the tank. Your arm pit should be centered over the gas cap.

The difference is that it'll show that you are getting over (from side to side) and when/if your forearm/bicep and chest are resting on top of the tank you know that you're getting down.

Makes sense, I'll try to remember that.

In that pic my arm is right at the edge between the top and side of the tank. Definitely not on top but not along the side either - right at the apex actually... :cool: My armpit isn't really over the gas cap though so I'm not there yet.

I'm just getting comfortable with the feeling of the bike moving around 'next' to me instead of under me. My tires started getting a little slippery in the next to last session (pressure went up from the heat) and the feeling of them sliding was a bit unnerving the first couple of times.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Little at a time man!!! ;)

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
lookin good man definitely seeing improvement i cant wait to do my first!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts