Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys. I need some direction, help, or comments on Miva Small Business Suite. Do any of you small business owners or webmasters use it? I have developed a few websites etc. but have never used Miva before. I was hired to build a website for a company and they wanted to use Miva as their development architecture. Has anyone used it before? Any and all questions/comments would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Sorry, can't help you. I've used OSCommerce and XCart but the basics should be about the same as MIVA. I looked through their website and they have a lot of addons and modules they want a pretty penny for. Good luck with it, wouldn't worry much. Maybe build a sandbox and play around all you like while you learn it.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
nobody has ever complained about the extra steps but it is a little cumbersome. I know it can be streamlined to run behind the scenes more but it's coding I'm not really comfortable doing or having done at this point. I've crashed my own stores and websites enough to know some things are better left alone. We rely alot on paypal & USPS integration, label generation and tracking also.

However, if I had it to do all over again I'd look for more automation for ease of checkout. We're content with our behind the scenes order fulfillment processes.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If you don't have a problem learning new software, use Miva. It's not like there could be much to it. I'm a developer and from my perspective Miva just looks like an alternative to something like Yahoo stores. Looks like a data entry gig more than anything. I guess I'm just looking down becuase I make that kindof software.

My suggestion:
-follow the instructions with the software and do the initial setup
-Show a full time employee how to keep it current (looks easy enough)
-Get paid and go do something more constructive. =)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jet, The company that owns the website that im going to be developing already has a credit card system for their actual store. Do we use that as a credit card gateway? I need to learn more about this credit card gateway stuff! I've never developed an online merchant before.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
CHEWKNOW said:
Jet, The company that owns the website that im going to be developing already has a credit card system for their actual store. Do we use that as a credit card gateway? I need to learn more about this credit card gateway stuff! I've never developed an online merchant before.
gateway is separate from a credit processing/merchant account. there are few reputable gateways such as authorize.net, verisign... these gateways will provide you with array of verification process/options for your risk and protection. the gateway is soly responsible for making approvals and declines over the internet and sends that information back and forth from the end user to the credit card processor, ie first data, concord, global payment, paymentech etc. these credit card processor will receive the information from the gateway, then process the transaction. meaning, 24hour funding of the transacted amount into the merchant's business checking account. many gateways will provide basically shopping carts and customer tracking features, so you don't HAVE to hire a ecommerce website developer. gateways charge $, merchant accounts charge $. some gateways will waive their monthly fee if you use their merchant account vice versa, but in the end, there are always a "CATCH" in the complex world of payment processing.
i process credit card transactions for over 200 businesses in ny, nj area so let me know if you have any further questions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts