Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the bike at the dealer for the 600 mile service. Would like to have done it myself, but been too busy with project at work, and don't mind supporting the local dealer since they seem genuinely interested in keeping customers happy. Service was done early in the day, so pleased with time to complete, and cost was decent (for a dealer).

Stopped and paid for work on the way home from work, then got ride back to drive it home later. While waiting to pull out of their lot, the smell of burning oil and haze of smoke starts to drift up from under the bike. Got some good looks from a Gixxer and the cagers as they drove by. Shut it down, but find no evidence of oil leaking. Started it back up, and smoke lessened, and then finally stopped as I headed down the road.

I assume the mechanic got oil on the headers or pipe. It happens, but make an effort (or a better effort) to clean it off! Or burn it off before I pick the bike up!

It's almost always true... you gotta do it yourself to get it right.

·
BOTM 07/09
1,693 Posts
Your bike was one of many that needed an oil change or service work. All the dealer wants is to get the job done and get it out of the shop. They don't pay attention to small details like me, you or others on this board would.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, that's probably pretty close to the truth.

I can say that the people I actually talk to at the dealer seem genuine about ensuring the customer is satisfied with the work, and want to know if there are issues. I stop in to browse for parts, gear, and just to BS on a regular basis (and free lunch on Saturdays!), and everyone is more than willing to answer questions, even if they have to put effort into it. I'd like to think that all the face time will help in the event that there's a real problem I need resolved. But, those folks aren't the same guys turning the wrenches, and that's where the attention to detail is needed.

Big picture ... this was no big deal. Still disappointing, though.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I would say they spilled some when draining your oil and forgot to wipe it off or a different person finished up the job that the 1st guy started.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
no harm no foul

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had my service done at Honda for my 600mi. Same thing happened, they brought it out, I turn it on to let it warm up and bam! Smoke from all around!
Also they totally lied straight to my face, I asked them what the 1st service involves and they said a valve check is required. If I had known that the valves dont need to be checked till 16k I would have changed my own oil instead of paying them $130 to do it.
Hate those lying fuxors!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Oh yeh and BTW, have never brought it back to them! I will have to learn how to adjust my own valves. But at least I know it will be done right.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oh yeh and BTW, have never brought it back to them! I will have to learn how to adjust my own valves. But at least I know it will be done right.

I don't take it the Honda Stealership anymore in fact Honda loosed my bussiness a wile back because of there sh I T T Y service and lack on following up from Bad stealership. Honda needs to get with the program.

·
Registered
368 Posts
This is a pretty minimal thing to get so upset over. Maybe you are more upset that it made you look like an idiot (which is subjective). lol.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had my service done at Honda for my 600mi. Same thing happened, they brought it out, I turn it on to let it warm up and bam! Smoke from all around!
Also they totally lied straight to my face, I asked them what the 1st service involves and they said a valve check is required. If I had known that the valves dont need to be checked till 16k I would have changed my own oil instead of paying them $130 to do it.
Hate those lying fuxors!

So you never looked at the manual to see what needed to be done at 600miles? Did they check your valves? I would have brought the manual in and told them to refund my money for a service that didnt need to be done.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
That is annoying, and all they had to do is wrap cheap aluminum foil over the headers while changing the oil filter and voila, no smoke!...people just don't care nowadays

·
Registered
327 Posts
So you never looked at the manual to see what needed to be done at 600miles? Did they check your valves? I would have brought the manual in and told them to refund my money for a service that didnt need to be done.
No, I never looked at the manual, was too busy riding. I dont think they checked the valves or charged me for it, it was just something he said quickly to me to get me to get the service. If I had known all they do is change the oil and fliter I would have never paid that much (I think they also did some other stupid ****...adjust chain, check some bolts, forget what else).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts