Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Iain,hi,
Before I brought the RR I had aCBR600F3 that came with smartwater.
I assumed that my insurance would be slightly lower because of it but it wasnt. Cat 1 alarms are the way to go imo. Say your bike gets nicked and is recovered via the smartwater are you really gonna want the bike back? The chances are that you would have already filed for claim and be looking for / or have brought a replacement bike. Personally I wouldnt bother but each to their own. As my brother always says, 'it's insured so feck it'

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate,

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want the bike back, but wondered if it was a pretty good deterrent. What kind of put me off SmartWater anyway was that there seems to be some kind of annual license fee, and it's not obvious from there website how much that actually costs. In that case, I'd rather go with something like datatag/alphadot for parts marking.

I'm assuming you've gone with a Cat1 alarm on the RR then - mind me asking which one you went for and why?

I had a quick nosey around alarms a couple of days ago, and was looking at the genuine Honda stuff (Averto) but realise that "genuine" stuff isn't always the best.

Thanks,
Iain

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have got the Smartwater on mine - haven't yet registered it (the form is still in the box) & also have an alarm Datatool system 21 (& now in the process of adding the pager to it (from Eb*y - £12).

Can't say the Smartwater has saved me any money on the insurance but got it from EB*y for £11 so don't really care...

I prefer the Datatag myself.

·
Registered
939 Posts
http://www.datatool.co.uk/consumer/products/products/index.php?product=system4_c1

Iain, I choose this alarm because it isnt annoying like the other datatools.
Once armed all you do is hit one grey button, the indicators blink once and the bike will start. When you finish riding you dont do anything, it self-arms after 30 seconds, the recurring bleep sounds like a bombs goona off.
When I brought mine it came highly recommended by a mate how runs a bike dealer, like you say the OE (honda) product isnt necessarily better. Go for it you wont be disappointed. Fits nicley under the rear seat.
PS. it also has a 'winter' setting so that it doesnt drain the battery too much, if you dont use a optimiser.

·
Registered
939 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
excellent, thanks for the response guys.

pete - any idea what you'll have to pay annually for smartwater once you do register it?

jj - what's the "univseral key conversion" that comes with the alarm, and how does this work with HISS?

·
Registered
939 Posts
the universal key conversion is a gimick. the s4 system is newer and the fob is tiny conpared with the one pete recommends.
I had that on my old bike and they rattle around the yoke.
If I was in your shoes knowing what I know from experience i'd defo go with the ebay offer, even at the buy now it a great deal...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts