Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Smelling like exhaust after riding

17K views 47 replies 41 participants last post by  BOSS HOGG LOU 
#1 ·
I have noticed this for a while but only recently has it started to bug me a little bit.
After I ride I smell just like the exhaust, i mean my pants, my jacket smell like I shoved them in the pipe while running. I know it has to be teh bike doing it to me because when I ride to work in the morning I am basically the only thing on the road (maybe pass or see about 10-15 vehicles for a 20 minute city ride).
My old Ninja 650 with an under engine exhaust never had this problem.

Is this normal for the CBR or should I start looking for a leak? I have not noticed any strange sounds or power loss.
It bugs me as sometimes the smell penetrates my backpack and infects my work closthes.

#3 ·
Yeah it happens to me to. I just go faster to outrun the exhaust cloud. lol

#6 ·
This has been on my mind forever also. I'm thinking it's also like the engine/radiator and other parts some how releasing the exhaust we're talking about. Not flaws or leaks, but more like, for the radiator, position/direction of the fan :ponder:
I'd just like to know how it happens and how to prevent it so I can ride to work and not worry about it.

#9 ·
I have no problem with the scent in the evening or on the weekends, just not the smell I need to walk into a meeting with when there are Directors, and VPs in the room.

I guess I will just have to move faster.

#45 ·
I have no problem with the scent in the evening or on the weekends, just not the smell I need to walk into a meeting with when there are Directors, and VPs in the room.

I guess I will just have to move faster.
:crackup: OMG i thought i was the only one. I work in a office, and people already got tired of telling me i smell like gasoline :crackup::crackup:
I went into a meeting once and the manager was like WHO SMELLS LIKE GASOLINE hahahaha i just replied...thats my cologne :drunk:
my manager and director don't mind the exhaust smell much. it's the booze smell that they make a fuss over:drunk:

#11 ·
:crackup: OMG i thought i was the only one. I work in a office, and people already got tired of telling me i smell like gasoline :crackup::crackup:
I went into a meeting once and the manager was like WHO SMELLS LIKE GASOLINE hahahaha i just replied...thats my cologne :drunk:

#14 ·
I smell like exhaust fumes after every ride.. It's normal

#15 ·
It really shouldn't smell like gasoline but definitely some exhaust smell due to the undertail exhaust. I usually wear a knapsack when I go to work so all the exhaust smell is absorbed by the knapsack.

That being said, my CBR isn't even close to being the worst regarding this matter out of my bikes. My Hypermotard(which has undertail exhaust as well as a Leo Vince cat eliminator) is probably the worst. A close second is my KLX250S jetted and piped.

#20 ·
My bikes exhaust is pretty strong, try riding behind my buddies 90 ZX100 converted to single exhaust. Talk about smelly....

It's a bit excessive, but taking others into consideration & the fact I'm in a showroom, I fold my work clothes as compact as possible and use large freezer bags, then put my clothes in a backpack. Once I get to work I will change out of my smelly clothes. Once they have some time to air out it's not noticeable & I have a strong sense of smell unfortunately.

#26 ·
Ya I also don't mind the asmell my g/f always tells me i stink but I never notice it. But as far as moving the exhaust under the rear set I had an r6 and it had the same smell with the exhaust there so i don't think that will fix anything.

#31 ·
its normal. but i have noticed if you dont run 91, or 93 octane as it is recommended to run 91 or better in the bike ,you smell worse when you get off.

#32 · (Edited)
Theres probably a low pressure zone right behind you when you ride and at least some of the exhaust from the undertail gets into that air pocket, soaking your backpack or whatever in exhaust. My bag reeks of exhaust, but thats fine with me haha

Also, sitting in rush hour traffic makes it no better. Especially behind Escalades, SCHOOL BUSSES, F150s, lol.

#42 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.