Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some idiot took my front end out in a left turn a few weeks ago and the result was a pretty hard lowside. Aside from the cosmetic damage, my bike is smoking really bad now.

I was thinking that maybe some oil had worked its way into the headers so I took off the entire exhaust system, flushed it with a diesel solvent then with soap and water. Put the thing back on and let it run for a while to burn off all the water.
Well, the The smoking is still there...

It really intensifies when I rev it. Im only going up to 4-5k, but when I let off the throttle a big puff comes out as well.

I have not checked the plugs to see what kind of (if any) symptoms will show, but Im wondering if I should just let it run, and perhaps the oil will burn off of where ever it is or if Im looking at something more serious.

Other than the white smoke, the engine sounds just fine, maybe the idle is a little higher than it was before, but it still sounds good.

I would like to try and fix this myself, but I’ve pretty much reached the end of my mechanical aptitude.
Here is a video.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,875 Posts
happened to mine after a lowside as well. once i was back on the track, it stopped after a lap or two. try riding with it for a bit, see what happens.

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,875 Posts
is it constantly smoking? mine only smoked when i got on the gas and let off...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, its got a real nice puff coming out while it's running. Gimmie 5 minutes, I'll take video of it real quick.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
What codec is that? I can't play it with WMP.

Is the smoke white, black or blue?

Check you oil for water.

·
Registered
175 Posts
well, correct me if im wrong, but blue smoke means burning oil, black smoke usually means its running too rich. So you may have cracked something (head gasket or something) and its getting something like water or coolant into the cylinders that shouldnt be there. I would pull the plugs and look for evidence on them and check ALL your fluid levels to see if any is burning down.. hope this helps

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
ddo01881 said:
well, correct me if im wrong, but blue smoke means burning oil, black smoke usually means its running too rich. So you may have cracked something (head gasket or something) and its getting something like water or coolant into the cylinders that shouldnt be there. I would pull the plugs and look for evidence on them and check ALL your fluid levels to see if any is burning down.. hope this helps
That's where I was going with that. White smoke is never a good thing. Drain a small sample of your oil. If it's grey don't run it any more. Take it straight to the shop.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Mulligan said:
Some idiot took my front end out in a left turn a few weeks ago and the result was a pretty hard lowside. Aside from the cosmetic damage, my bike is smoking really bad now.

I was thinking that maybe some oil had worked its way into the headers so I took off the entire exhaust system, flushed it with a diesel solvent then with soap and water. Put the thing back on and let it run for a while to burn off all the water.
Well, the The smoking is still there...

It really intensifies when I rev it. Im only going up to 4-5k, but when I let off the throttle a big puff comes out as well.

I have not checked the plugs to see what kind of (if any) symptoms will show, but Im wondering if I should just let it run, and perhaps the oil will burn off of where ever it is or if Im looking at something more serious.

Other than the white smoke, the engine sounds just fine, maybe the idle is a little higher than it was before, but it still sounds good.

I would like to try and fix this myself, but I’ve pretty much reached the end of my mechanical aptitude.
Here is a video.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

means one thing radiator fluid in the oil ie blown head gasket specially if the oil is murky that proves my point

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can I not just change the oil? It was laid over on its side for 3-5 minutes while they peeled me off the ground....

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Mulligan said:
Can I not just change the oil? It was laid over on its side for 3-5 minutes while they peeled me off the ground....
Not if it's mixing oil and water. This is a serious issue. Have you checked the oil yet? It's kind of important. Is it overheating?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
drain the oil.. see if the detergents in it have activated. if they HAVE you're gonna have a hell of a time getting it all out. Basically the oil will come out this milky nasty whitish brownish color. Anyway, if it has happened drop your pan and start cleaning... I'd say run some solvents through the motor to get it all out but not with the wet clutch in a sportbike. Also, if it's a head gasket you might have gotten lucky and not have to worry about the oil. but i'd say something is seriousely wrong with your block.

sorry.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:( I wish I had a magic pill I could just drop in. Im going to check the oil tonight and will keep ya'll posted. Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm also interested with this topic as I lowsided @ Donnington :( and my rr is also smoking (white) smoke, I'm leaving it for a couple of days to see if it comes back.

GL dude.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I waited a few days too... I was hoping it would "fix itself" ... it hasn't happend yet. Im doing the oil change tonight.

....another 50 bucks....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts