Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im building up an 08 track bike this winter and dropped the motor so I can service it. In the process I managed to mishandle it which ended in this:

No problem. Ill just head over to bikebandit and learn a lesson. A quick glimpse at the exploded view of the TBs reveals this:

Am I out a set of throttle bodies on this one?

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
i belive the tps is only available on new throttle boddies, and not seperate.

·
Administrator
51,152 Posts
That is an ouchie i am sorry man you can not get the sensor by itself like stated above

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
i cant resist...

SMOOTHMOVE exlax!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've seen some throttle bodies running for <60 on ebay right now.

Sorry to hear about the expensive accident; probably won't happen again!

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
WTF.. they dont sell just the sensor?? thats shitty on hondas end right there.

you might get lucky on ebay, or call a tonne of junk yards and you may find one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hey bro my tps was broken, so i had to replace it right and what i learned about this is that each tps is modified for the throttle body it comes with,
for example if u only bought the sensor and put it on a different throttle body, im sure that its gonna show on ur speedometer that is broken (oil/coolant light will blink 8 times, according to service manual this means that the tps is broken on 04 cbr600rr) which means its not gonna work...thats what my mechanic said...and i actually did the throttle body replacement myself which was a success lol
i hope this helps

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
hey bro my tps was broken, so i had to replace it right and what i learned about this is that each tps is modified for the throttle body it comes with,
for example if u only bought the sensor and put it on a different throttle body, im sure that its gonna show on ur speedometer that is broken (oil/coolant light will blink 8 times, according to service manual this means that the tps is broken on 04 cbr600rr) which means its not gonna work...thats what my mechanic said...and i actually did the throttle body replacement myself which was a success lol
i hope this helps

i think it has more to do with the tps knowing just how much the throttle is, or is not open, not any speedo related thing

in other words, the ecu would probably be incorrect as to how much throttle is actually applied, and thus the mapping and every thing else trashed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i think it has more to do with the tps knowing just how much the throttle is, or is not open, not any speedo related thing

I believe what primo10 is saying is that a fault code will be displayed via the red LED on the gauge cluster (speedo) that indicates a faulty tps; not that it affects the speedometer's accuracy.

I also believe that there is a general agreement on the issue.
:shakehand

OP (smoothmove), holler if you have a hard time finding throttle bodies on Ebay or elsewhere.
I've purchased from a place called simpson cycles before, they're pretty well-priced, and seem pretty well-established and reputable.
Here's a set for $65, they have a few at that price

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
seems they dont want us touching the sensor anyway - its mounted with some kind of brazed round locknut. Hard to stomach that i have a useless set of TBs because I broke a littel plastic connector though.

I may try to fix it because the contacts look like theyre in good shape and i think they were floating against the terminals on the TB end of the sensor which appear intact.
What do you guys use to bond plastic?

·
fall down 7times get up 8
1,479 Posts
I've seen some throttle bodies running for <60 on ebay right now.

Sorry to hear about the expensive accident; probably won't happen again!
eBay is your friend
don't waste anymore $$$ than needed

·
Registered
135 Posts
I may try to fix it because the contacts look like theyre in good shape and i think they were floating against the terminals on the TB end of the sensor which appear intact.
What do you guys use to bond plastic?
I was wondering if that would work:+1: I'd give it a shot; it could only get better.

I'd probably go with a plastic-safe 2-part epoxy. Seems like the most secure fit that doesn't risk deforming the shape where the 2 parts mate.
It'd look ugly, but it's a track bike, right?

Edit: I'm sure you're more concerned about this than I am, but be sure to test the secureness of the fix and do plenty of low-speed testing. Get it hot, and see how it stays. It would really suck to have that thing come loose and shut things down while you're hugging turn three.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts