Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, ill keep it short and sweet. did my fuel pump and snapped a stud that holds the sending unit on... there are 5 others and it doesnt seem to be leaking but it makes me uneasy. is there any way to fix that stud? i noticed ot was on a raised platform.. are the tanks steel? ill cut it and fix it and weld it back together if i can.. Thanks in advance you guys rock

· Super Moderator
11,724 Posts
The tank is steel because it does rust. The ones on eBay are probably worse then yours. I looked into replacing mine when I was having issues and there was nothing worth having at that time. I'd try to weld it back on but if it's not leaking it's probably fine. It has 5 more bolts.

· Super Moderator
11,724 Posts

I don't have a picture of the bottom of the tank. Maybe someone else does. But in the diagram, the fuel pump assembly is #1, the gasket is #16, and the nut for the studs is #33. There are 6 studs on the bottom of the tank that hold the pump assembly.
Sleeve Font Art Handwriting Pattern

· Registered
819 Posts
If the seal is tight and not leaking you don't really have a problem. Of course it's not ideal especially on these as it's not easy to just lift the tank and check occasionally.

Short term you could add some gasket sealer around that area.

· Registered
340 Posts

I don't have a picture of the bottom of the tank. Maybe someone else does. But in the diagram, the fuel pump assembly is #1, the gasket is #16, and the nut for the studs is #33. There are 6 studs on the bottom of the tank that hold the pump assembly.
View attachment 227962
Thanks

· Registered
63 Posts
Hello all, ill keep it short and sweet. did my fuel pump and snapped a stud that holds the sending unit on... there are 5 others and it doesnt seem to be leaking but it makes me uneasy. is there any way to fix that stud? i noticed ot was on a raised platform.. are the tanks steel? ill cut it and fix it and weld it back together if i can.. Thanks in advance you guys rock
Be very careful cutting and welding fuel tanks..Plenty of dead people will attest to that..Extremely dangerous if you don't know what you're doing..

· Registered
63 Posts
Sorry,forgot to add that you might be better off filing the broken stud flush with tank, then drill and tap broken stud and fit a bolt.or cap screw

· Registered
885 Posts
Be very careful cutting and welding fuel tanks..Plenty of dead people will attest to that..Extremely dangerous if you don't know what you're doing..
Yes, make sure you test for residual fumes before welding...

· Super Moderator
11,724 Posts
Sorry,forgot to add that you might be better off filing the broken stud flush with tank, then drill and tap broken stud and fit a bolt.or cap screw
I wouldn't trust a bolt or screw through the tank. Too many ways for that bolt to leak which is why Honda used a welded stud. Are you talking about welding in the new bolt after you drill out the old one? I can see that. But not using just a bolt through the tank.

Let the tank dry in a heated garage. If you put it outside or leave it in a garage with ANY moisture it will rust almost instantly. So be prepared to deal with a rusty tank afterwards. Also, burn off any residual fumes with a torch before you start to weld.

· Registered
885 Posts
Another idea similar to drilling hole and shoving bolt through from other side, is to just braze threaded post on outside similar to other welded ones. No need to drill hole, lower temps than welding, so won't heat up inside of tank as much.

Reactions: NewRedRider
1 - 18 of 18 Posts