Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning out some boxes, and found all of my tie-downs. They're just some generic red ones that I think I bought at Lowe's or Home Depot several years ago. They have worked fine for tying down my snowboards and my last bike (R6) for transport, but I started wondering if tie-downs are just tie-downs... or if they're more like stands. Probably not a good item to "take a chance" with. Is there a "Pitbull" of tie-downs gentlemen? Or is this a case of a spade being a spade?

K

·
0 Posts
Tie downs... like... rope?

i just use ratchet straps. regular... ratchet straps.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
i don't really pay attn to brand with tie downs. rather, weight rating for them.
CTM is right. There should be a tag on the strap with a weight rating. Anything that can hold a couple hundred pounds should be more than enough since they're only keeping the bike upright and not holding the entire bikes weight.

Just remember, a fast turn in a truck will put centrifugal g-forces on the bike in the truck bed which can effectively make the weight/pressure on the strap increase. Drive carefully around corners. If the strap is fraying at all, it's strength is compromised and won't hold the rated weight. Throw it out.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tie downs... like... rope?

i just use ratchet straps. regular... ratchet straps.
Yeah, I've always heard of them referred to as tie-downs. But technically they are indeed ratchet straps.
i don't really pay attn to brand with tie downs. rather, weight rating for them.
Yeah I was conscious of the varying tensile strengths that are available, but that's helpful to be reminded of. I guess I was wondering if there was a superior manufacturer out there. Guess not. Thanks fellas!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts