Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just getting tired of reading the you need a 1000,dunlop's suck they made me crash,you need race gas threads and uneducated banter.

It's just getting old. Learn the facts,base an opinion on your experiences.

In my experinece,squids are still squids.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
AMEN!! Preach on brother! It's time for the newbs to sit down, shut up, and listen to some experienced riders for a change. If you have an opinion that's fine. But "Dunlops suck" is not an opinion. It's an ignorant statement. "I don't like Dunlops. I prefer PP's." is an appropriate opinion.

C

·
0 Posts
Sure, maybe a 1000 cc motor would help, don't run Dunlop's though, race gas works great, it all depends on the situation.

Educated advise may be the advise above. It all depends on the situation.

Mix one squid + big crash = 1 responsible rider.

C

·
0 Posts
vizsladog44 said:
...you need a 1000,...
dunlop's suck they made me crash...
,you need race gas....
squids are still squids.
1000cc won't make you a better rider, but it may be easier to commute with one because you don't need to be in such high rpm's or maybe you always ride 2 up and you don't want that lag a 600cc provides.

Certian dunlops do suck, they might even cause a crash where a Michelin wouldn't (or vice versa) All depends on the situation, some people have pleanty of experience and can tell the difference.

In a stock bike race gas won't help is not true. A gas expert working for VP may be able to recommend some unleaded race fuel that is more oxiginated and could steadily produce a few more horsepower.

If just about everyone started as a squid, then why are there so many responsible riders now?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm guessing educating and the birth of the internet message board???

1000 does make a great street bike,but not a great first commuter bike.

yes certain dunlops are worse than some tires but better than others. But very rarley will a tire be 100% cause of a crash.

but would the extra cost be worth the 1-2 hp on a street bike??

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
cvlighthouse said:
Sure, maybe a 1000 cc motor would help, don't run Dunlop's though, race gas works great, it all depends on the situation.

Educated advise may be the advise above. It all depends on the situation.

Mix one squid + big crash = 1 responsible rider.
That equation doesn't work for everyone CV.

C

·
0 Posts
vizsladog44 said:
....1000 does make a great street bike,but not a great first commuter bike.

yes certain dunlops are worse than some tires but better than others. But very rarley will a tire be 100% cause of a crash.

but would the extra cost be worth the 1-2 hp on a street bike??
Whats wrong with a SV1000 as a first commuter bike? Maybe the situation is that the rider has plenty of experience on a bike, but needs a first commuter bike.

A Dunlop that takes forever to heat up may be the cause of the crash. Sure the rider didn't take the time to warm the tires up, but ultimately the tire was the cause of the crash. A tire that heats up faster may be the solution. The rider could take more time heating up the Dunlop, or get a tire that heats up faster.

Sure, the extra cost on a street bike will not be worth it unless your at the track, on the drag strip, experimenting, likes the smell of gas. It all depends on the situation.

There are local bike night heros and then there are "Internet know it all's" too. Sometimes we see a lot of the comic strip below on the forums, even when the guy doing the beating doesn't know the entire situation. A lot of times what works for one guy may not work for another. Like the rear brake discussion or the GP shift discussion. There all good and informative and everyone should come to their own conclusion, even though a bunch of them end up like below, then its entertainment.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I agree with every post here! 1000cc's are great to get around town on but there is no one out there who NEEDS one because no one can ride a 1000 to its full potential on the street. I love getting to work and back on my 954 because of how easy it is, just sit back and twist your wrist at any RPM.

You cant just rip on an entire company like that. NewRed is right, thats the most ignorant thing you can possibly say! Are you sayin Dunlop's track tire suck? Would the same result of occured if a differnt model Dunlop tire was mounted (im guessing a 208 caused a lowside)? If you answer "no" to either of these then retract your previous stupid ass accusation NOW!

Dont get me started on all those guys parked on the side of the busiest, late night street lounging on their bike with their flip flops over the wind screen, shades hanging from their hawaiian shirt, sportin the cargo pants and helmet hanging from the tail. I always want to just execute a drive-by, punch to the face!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
+1 to the comic strip above. I am all for new opinions, and viewing a problem from different angles has it's obvious advantages. I stopped riding with the local groups becuase their interests always end up in a straight line battle. There is a very small minority in my town that enjoys the true designed intent of the motorcycle. I look to the forums for that sense of acceptance that you can't find with riders around your area. I try to impart smart sensible advice that anyone can use, but there have been times when my frustration has gotten the better part of my judgement, and I have unloaded on a new member. Keep up the good works guys, and ride safe, no matter who you are riding with, or where.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
cvlighthouse said:
Whats wrong with a SV1000 as a first commuter bike? Maybe the situation is that the rider has plenty of experience on a bike, but needs a first commuter bike.
30Hp too much that's what. 110Hp for a new rider is just nuts. Now the SV650 would make the perfect first timers commuter bike. We are talking about first time riders right?

cvlighthouse said:
A Dunlop that takes forever to heat up may be the cause of the crash. Sure the rider didn't take the time to warm the tires up, but ultimately the tire was the cause of the crash. A tire that heats up faster may be the solution. The rider could take more time heating up the Dunlop, or get a tire that heats up faster.
So if I Armor-All my tires and crash is it still the tires fault for doing something that I wasn't supposed to do? It's the riders responsibilty to know how thier tires are going to react and how long they take to warm up. You don't blame the gun manufacturer because your can't penetrate 3 inches of plated steel with a .22 caliber. You go get a .50 caliber

cvlighthouse said:
Sure, the extra cost on a street bike will not be worth it unless your at the track, on the drag strip, experimenting, likes the smell of gas. It all depends on the situation.

There are local bike night heros and then there are "Internet know it all's" too. Sometimes we see a lot of the comic strip below on the forums, even when the guy doing the beating doesn't know the entire situation. A lot of times what works for one guy may not work for another. Like the rear brake discussion or the GP shift discussion. There all good and informative and everyone should come to their own conclusion, even though a bunch of them end up like below, then its entertainment.

So I take it you're the guy with the club?

C

·
0 Posts
NewRedRider said:
30Hp too much that's what. 110Hp for a new rider is just nuts. Now the SV650 would make the perfect first timers commuter bike. We are talking about first time riders right?

So if I Armor-All my tires and crash is it still the tires fault for doing something that I wasn't supposed to do? It's the riders responsibilty to know how thier tires are going to react and how long they take to warm up. You don't blame the gun manufacturer because your can't penetrate 3 inches of plated steel with a .22 caliber. You go get a .50 caliber

So I take it you're the guy with the club?
Nope, we were talking about a first time commuter bike, no rider experience mentioned.
Armor-All on tires is not the question. People crash at the track all the time because of tires. Many people will not use pilot race tires because they are notoriously known for suddenly letting go. Would you knock the rider for switching brands?

So, you beat me to it (no pun intended.)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Oh oh oh! Im a squid!

I started on my 600rr and regret it. Its way to powerful but Im taking it easy.

Am I a responsible squid?

C

·
0 Posts
Your name is Brandon and you also drive a 1996 Ford Probe GT w/ 77k miles on it.
Your 20 and you live in Wichita, Kansas.
Your cell phone is 316 737-8941
You are looking for leathers and willing to spend 500-1000.
You are taking your motorcycle permit test.
Your looking for more experienced riders to ride with.
You regret starting on a 600RR, but your taking it easy.

Sure, I'd say your a responsible squid. Just don't get too squirley kid.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
cvlighthouse said:
Nope, we were talking about a first time commuter bike, no rider experience mentioned.
Armor-All on tires is not the question. People crash at the track all the time because of tires. Many people will not use pilot race tires because they are notoriously known for suddenly letting go. Would you knock the rider for switching brands?

So, you beat me to it (no pun intended.)
Ok. But my analogy with the armor-all is that the tire is stupid. It's made to do one job and it doesn't know when enough is enough. That's the riders responsibility.

·
Registered
621 Posts
ha ha in all fairness Dunlop 208zr's do suck

·
Registered
172 Posts
cvlighthouse said:
Your name is Brandon and you also drive a 1996 Ford Probe GT w/ 77k miles on it.
Your 20 and you live in Wichita, Kansas.
Your cell phone is 316 737-8941
You are looking for leathers and willing to spend 500-1000.
You are taking your motorcycle permit test.
Your looking for more experienced riders to ride with.
You regret starting on a 600RR, but your taking it easy.

Sure, I'd say your a responsible squid. Just don't get too squirley kid.
When I first read this I was like, omg does he know me? Then I realized I got my cardomain and info posted everywhere. Its a 1997 PGT though and it has 115k miles on it now. Ill try to not be squirley....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts