Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea...I know, not exactly a fascinating story title, but let me continue.

I have a 2006 model and I was just at the dealership looking for a new front tyre and saw a black 2014 model hanging around suspiciously in front of what seemed to be the manager's office.

So I pranced meandered over to it whilst looking in disgust at all the new CBR300R's on the way. It's sad to think that some 20 years after the CBR250RR, they still haven't improved for the learner category, but I digress.

Had a good look at the new 600, a lot of the parts are similar to the 2007+ not much look the same to the 03 - 06 models except for the swing arm and the general engine design. Then I attempted to sit on it, and I realised immediately how low the seat was. I'm exactly 6ft tall and always checking the tail end before I hop on because with leathers I can't fully stretch the leg out.

Honestly, if I closed my eyes the bike really feels similar. Forward lean angle seems to be around the same? The controls look really cheaply made but that's just how it appears. On the older models all the controls are bulky and thick looking so it seems to fill up the head area more (looks better IMO), e.g. the kill-switch.

I also noticed there was no hazard lights switch, unless I missed it? My '06 has both the hazard function on the ignition barrel and near the ignition switch itself.

Then the salesman came around and commented on how good I looked on it etc. :retard: and suggested it was time to upgrade from my '06 to the '14. I'm like why? He claimed the new one made 10hp more, which I highly doubt, AFAIK they got pretty much the same power specifications.

In the end I wasted my time hopping between the new ZX636, GSX-R750, ZX-10R and the CBR1000RR. The ZX-10R looked really impressive, the CBR1000RR not so much. Then he tried selling me the GSX-R750, pretty much begging me to take it for a test-ride and offered to throw in a new Yoshi slip-on for the 2014 model. Really liked the 750, but I swear these new bikes are made for midgets, couldn't really get comfortable around the tank with my knees.

When it's all said and done, I think I prefer my '06 to any of the new CBR's, including the 1000RR. Although the ZX-10R is SUPER TEMPTING. Oh, and I didn't end up getting tyres, next time I'm going straight to the service department and not looking at the bikes!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Interesting take, I personally feel the 07+ are a big step up IMO. Plus your bike isn't probably producing the same power it left the factory with.

But that ZX10R is supposed to be an awesome machine.

It is. I sometimes ride with a guy on a new 10R. Dirty secret though is it isn't any faster in the tight twisties than my 600RR even with all it's power & electro goodies.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
It is. I sometimes ride with a guy on a new 10R. Dirty secret though is it isn't any faster in the tight twisties than my 600RR even with all it's power & electro goodies.
That claim has more to do with the rider.

·
Black & Blue
161 Posts
So I pranced meandered over to it whilst looking in disgust at all the new CBR300R's on the way. It's sad to think that some 20 years after the CBR250RR, they still haven't improved for the learner category, but I digress.
Yeah! Because learners need to ride Moto3 powered bikes for their first couple years. :banghead:I'm guessing you've never ridden a new 250 or 300? If I was to follow that logical progression, I can't believe that Subaru doesn't just make STI works cars as their entry level car.:poke:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting take, I personally feel the 07+ are a big step up IMO. Plus your bike isn't probably producing the same power it left the factory with.

But that ZX10R is supposed to be an awesome machine.
Yes, the 07+ was a major difference. Although I haven't really ridden one to be able to say whether it was a step up or not, personally. The results in the Supersports world championship tell a pretty interesting story!

Here are the times for Monza, but the few other tracks I've checked tell a similar story:

S. Charpentier 2006 CBR600RR - 1'51.061 @ 276km/h [Qualifying 1]
S. Charpentier 2007 CBR600RR - 1'50.711 @ 283km/h [Qualifying 1]

Here's Silverstone:

S. Charpentier 2006 CBR600RR - 1'30.516 @ 242km/h [Qualifying 1]
K. Sofuoglu 2007 CBR600RR - 1'27.937 @ 233km/h [Qualifying 1]

That's a fair bit off the lap times! Didn't realise how much quicker it was in the right hands.

As for the power the older bikes are producing, I haven't dyno'd my bike, but I have no reason to think it is producing any less power than when it left the factory. Modern engines, whether from a car or motorcycle are extremely robust provided it doesn't have a defect and has been properly maintained.

Did an acceleration test a few months ago and pulled a 0 - 100km/h in 2.9 seconds. Also did a top speed of 265km/h (165mph)...in 5th gear. I still had 6th gear remaining but was running out of road.

I'd say it's producing its full 118bhp still.

Yeah! Because learners need to ride Moto3 powered bikes for their first couple years. :banghead:I'm guessing you've never ridden a new 250 or 300? If I was to follow that logical progression, I can't believe that Subaru doesn't just make STI works cars as their entry level car.:poke:
Well I've done much better worse than that, my very first bike was a 2007 CBR125R. I rode that for 7 months, so no one can cry to me about not having enough power ;) -- in either case the CBR250RR is not a Moto3 type bike. Just because current Moto3's are 4-stroke 250's doesn't mean you can say a bike produced in the 1990's are Moto3 powered or any such thing, and they were 2-stroke in that era anyway.

Let's assume that I agree on your point, then following that "logical progression" I can equally argue that no one here in this forum should be riding 600RR's because they are "Moto2 powered bikes" and since we can't match any of those riders we shouldn't be riding it, and if you're going to argue that people here can do it, then let them join and prove it. ;)

I think you'll find my hypothetical argument above is more valid than yours, after all...Moto2 bikes are indeed 600RR powered :poke: and are rumoured to be producing around 140bhp (crank), that's what? On par with a road-going GSX-R750 or an early superbike like a ZX-9R. Considerably less than a road-going 1000cc's which have upwards of 180bhp.

I'm getting a bit carried away...any how, to answer your question I did ride a "new" 250. It was my friend's 2013 CBR250R. Decent commuter bike, fun in the twisties, very learner friendly and well designed. That's my honest opinion, can't fault it, and I won't lie.

I still think they are boring and "don't make them like they used to" in 'em good ol' days sonny! :banger: :p

·
Registered
59 Posts
The 07+ CBR600RR is without a doubt my favorite sportbike for the street. I use it mostly for backroad corner carving. The ergos are livable for long days in the saddle. The chassis and handling is absolutely fantastic.

·
Black & Blue
161 Posts
I'm just saying let's compare apples to apples. There is no way you can compare a CBR250RR 4 cylinder race bred bike to a CBR300R single. They were designed with completely different purposes in mind. I called the bike a Moto3 powered bike because the 250RR has about 4 less horsepower than the current 49 hp Moto3 bikes.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm just saying let's compare apples to apples. There is no way you can compare a CBR250RR 4 cylinder race bred bike to a CBR300R single. They were designed with completely different purposes in mind. I called the bike a Moto3 powered bike because the 250RR has about 4 less horsepower than the current 49 hp Moto3 bikes.
True, point taken!

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
it is a shame that there are no "supersport type" small cc bikes.

A modern tech, quality suspension, lighter/smaller than 600 cc bike would be nice.

·
Black & Blue
161 Posts
I think it would be fantastic to see a "supersport type" small cc bike. I doubt that the big companies would be able to make one that would cost much less than a 600 and would probably only manage to sell a few to the likes of us.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think it would be fantastic to see a "supersport type" small cc bike. I doubt that the big companies would be able to make one that would cost much less than a 600 and would probably only manage to sell a few to the likes of us.
I agree.

One reason I bought the 2008 Ninja 250 was because it looked more like a sport bike than the older 250s.

I even had someone think it was a zx6r.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
The 06/07 RR's were great bikes. I think anything past that hasn't really improved much, other than adding the ABS.

If I were to get an RR, it would be the 07/08 for sure.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts