Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently switched insurance companies from state farm to AAA. My Jetta was about $40 per month cheeper and I found that GMAC had cheeper insurance for the RR...$76. compared to $88. Sunds good right? Well turns out that twoo weeks ago GMAC reviewed there policy and made som changes. They will nolonger insure the "CBR" so I was like SH_T! I called progressive and asked for a quote....$2000/year. So I called State Farm back> I turns out that I was grandfathered in to the company and they must have been overlooking the fact that I had totaled my last bike in 2004. They gave me a quot on just my car and it was just under $100 more than I am paying now($94). So now I cant switch car insurance and I cant afford motorcycle insurance!......I think I am going to cry:sad11: :dontknow: 1 Clame and I am F_CKED for 3-5 years..F_CKING :bs:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sorry to hear that bro...I hope you can work something out

·
Registered
4 Posts
what kind of insurance are you trying to get? For me (22) with a cruiser i pay 14x a year but i don't have comprehensive. I feel safe with out it on the shadow because if i go down by my own fault i doubt there will be enough damage to surpass the $500 deductable (atleast thats my justification). I'm going to throw out a post to how most people insure their bikes but if you don't mine me asking; what kind of coverage are you looking for?

Jeff

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a loan out on it so it has to be full coverage. I had $50 deductable on it but 500 is fine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I crashed my last bike in 08/04....do you think that insurance would double because of that?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't recommend that you do this because in the event that you wreck you won't have coverage on your bike, but you can get a credit union to finance what you owe on the bike in the form of a personal loan. You get the title to the bike and can put liability insurance on it. Your payment will probably jump because the rate will be higher but at least the insurance will be affordable. Like I said I don't recommend doing it, but it is a option.

·
Registered
587 Posts
If You Are Military Or Ex Military You Can Try Usaa They Are Very Resonable....a Clean Record Helps But Its Worth A Shot...progressive Sux And So Does The Gecko......do What The Other Guy Said Go The Credit Union Route Get Liability..if You Crash It Run Away And Say It Was Stolen Lol J/k I Would Never Do That :)~

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
dbosco002 said:
I crashed my last bike in 08/04....do you think that insurance would double because of that?
YES! same story here my bike was on the border of being totalled out, but told them fix it! becuase it was fine, all cosmetic. Was with AAA @ $68 a month now with Geico @ $124 a month! and i didnt save 15% or more.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm in the same boat man. I just bought a bike this last week and am going to get it next Friday. I called GMAC (Rider Insurance) to start the coverage (they quoted me $650 for the year - full coverage!!). The guy proceeded to tell me that the CBR isn't on "the list" anymore and I can't get coverage. Now I'm back at step on frantically trying to find good quotes. I have to have full coverage because I'm taking out a loan on the bike. The cheapest I've found is $1300 for the year. The highest I've been quoted is $3600 for 6 months!!! Ridiculous!!! Any suggestions?

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
check drive insurance before you sell.
dairyland insurance, u may be able to get a good price.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Drive insurance is Progressive, so good luck there.
Try another State Farm agent. When I first called State Farm, the agent (my distant uncle) was telling me I wasn't insurable b/c of some rating company they have, but when I went to another State Farm agent, he was like, "no problem. Good luck, mang!

·
Registered
928 Posts
cbrocket600 said:
If You Are Military Or Ex Military You Can Try Usaa They Are Very Resonable....a Clean Record Helps But Its Worth A Shot...progressive Sux And So Does The Gecko......do What The Other Guy Said Go The Credit Union Route Get Liability..if You Crash It Run Away And Say It Was Stolen Lol J/k I Would Never Do That :)~
This may not work for most folks. USAA is transitioning away form motorcycle insurance. If you don't have a current bike policy you wont get a new one underwritten by USAA, they will send you to an outside agency which is underwritten by State Farm.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
ditto on the state farm....

I had to talk with 3 different agents before I found one that knew what they were talking about. Now I'm at about $38 a month with $500 deductibles. Also, if you have seasonal riding you can suspend coverage for the winter to reduce your monthly payment since you won't be driving.... I believe most if not all insurance companies do that, but it's food for thought....

·
Registered
84 Posts
waterman said:
what kind of insurance are you trying to get? For me (22) with a cruiser i pay 14x a year but i don't have comprehensive. I feel safe with out it on the shadow because if i go down by my own fault i doubt there will be enough damage to surpass the $500 deductable (atleast thats my justification). I'm going to throw out a post to how most people insure their bikes but if you don't mine me asking; what kind of coverage are you looking for?

Jeff

Keep in mind that comprehensive covers theft. You really want to have that on an RR. Comp is cheap. There is no reason not to get it. Liability and collision are what really jack the price up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts