Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Triumph Demo Ride in San Marcos, CA this Saturday. I wanted to test ride the Thruxton and the Bonneville, as I planned to get either bike for commute and twisties, and use the RR for track.

Since my buddy needed to leave early, I was only able to test ride the Bonneville SE and the Daytona 675.

And here's my thought on the Daytona. Please keep in mind that I have only been riding 11 months with 10k+ miles, and only 5% of those miles are at the twisties. So please correct me if I said anything stupid:iamwith:. Oh my RR is an 05.

The ride was 17miles long with some twisties, some surface streets and some freeways.

Handling:
The Daytona was quite a bit narrower than the RR, well since it has only 3 cylinders. The bike was so predictable and it was so easy to flick it around the corners, and it felt a lot lighter than the RR too. (Well my RR was lowered 2" by its original owner, idk if that's what make me feel huge difference)

Power:
I thought that the 3 cylinder and the extra 75cc would have give it more torque and power. But no I just didn't felt anything, it doesn't pull like the RR does, I did rev it pass 10k+ RPM. It felt like I didn't have to respect the throttle at all. Even the Bonneville pulled harder than the Daytona. Could it be because the mapping were so smooth that I don't feel the acceleration? Someone please educate me.

Design/Ergonomics:
My buddy rode the Daytona on the first ride, and he complains that the bike burns his legs, I thought it was from the heat radiated from the unshielded mid pipe, so I said that he was being a *****. But when it's my turn to ride, I felt something started to burn my tights through the Jeans after 1/3 of the ride. It was not the pipe, its the exposed subframe! If i was wearing a textile riding pants instead of jeans, it would probably have melted it!

Riding position was a bit awkward, I didn't felt comfortable both tucked in, sitting upright, or anything in between. Tucking in my head would have to pull back all the way towards my back in order to look forward probably. The bike would have beat me up in less then 100 miles. Maybe the bike was not decided for a 5'6" Asian afterall.

Here I'm jacking a truck load of Triumph Motorcycle...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Funny you mention the power, before I bought my RR I looked at the daytona. The dealer talked up the motor like you wouldn't believe. Called it a 600 killer. I never did get to ride it, but I read enough reviews on it, and while it was good, it was the slowest of the bunch for 09.

D

·
0 Posts
So, you're docking the 675 because they didn't design it to keep the subframe from burning anyone not wearing proper riding gear?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry that I do not have the luxury of owning a pair of leather pants yet, but I still wear my textile jacket even when it's a hundred+, needless to say my leather jacket during the winter... call me a squid, but i don't put on a Ruff Rider Vest/t-shirt/shorts/sneakers combo and pull Wheelies on the freeway... (happened to see that on my ride back from Vegas)

But dude that subframe was stove hot! It would probably fried your balls when you're hanging off with jeans/textile pants (improper riding position? haha), well it might keep your balls warm if your riding leather.

Docking it? Well I love most of the bikes made by Triumph. The Modern Classic: Thruxton, Bonneville; Urban: Street/Sport Triple, Cruiser: Thunder Bird, Rocket 3 Roadster, and the SpeedMaster. However the Daytona never quite appeal to me. I mean what does a British SuperSports has to do with an American Oval Race Track? Why call it a Daytona?

Only thing I liked about the bike was its handling, and it feels a lot lighter than the RR.

My real concern is that I don't feel the pull from the 675, like I do from the RR. Is there supposed to be more power from the 675? What am I doing wrong? Or is there something that I don't understand?

I'm here to learn... Please educate me... :shakehand

D

·
0 Posts
My real concern is that I don't feel the pull from the 675, like I do from the RR. Is there supposed to be more power from the 675? What am I doing wrong? Or is there something that I don't understand?

I'm here to learn... Please educate me... :shakehand
Over all other bikes in the 600cc class, the Daytona has the largest torque curve. It'd mid-range torque is even higher than the peak torque of everything else. Having all of the torque early on, and lots of it, a bike will feel much slower because of how smooth the power delivery will be, compared to something that starts out low and builds up a lot.

The 600RR has about 32/33ft.lb at the bottom, about 37/38ft.lb mid-range, and peaks at 44.1ft.lb(11,100RPM) before dropping off to 32/33ft.lb.
The 675 has 39ftl.lb at the bottom, about 44/45ft.lb mid range, and peaks at 47.9ft.lb (9,900RPM) before dropping off at 42ft.lb.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Over all other bikes in the 600cc class, the Daytona has the largest torque curve. It'd mid-range torque is even higher than the peak torque of everything else. Having all of the torque early on, and lots of it, a bike will feel much slower because of how smooth the power delivery will be, compared to something that starts out low and builds up a lot.

The 600RR has about 32/33ft.lb at the bottom, about 37/38ft.lb mid-range, and peaks at 44.1ft.lb(11,100RPM) before dropping off to 32/33ft.lb.
The 675 has 39ftl.lb at the bottom, about 44/45ft.lb mid range, and peaks at 47.9ft.lb (9,900RPM) before dropping off at 42ft.lb.
Interesting. I guess the higher curve and less of a jump at certain rpm's equates to the lack of hit test riders felt.

D

·
0 Posts
Yup. It's something that you just don't think about, and most riders aren't even aware of.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

This is from 2006, but I assume there won't be huge difference.

If we look at the 675 from 4.5k to 6.5k rpm it's pretty flat, then it drops a little from 6.5k to 7k, then it has a higher climb from 7k to top at 9.5k.

In other words the 675 has a flatter torque curve, and even if it has more torque through its whole curve, I couldn't feel it like I do on the CBR which is climbing the whole time, even thou it has a lot less torque through the whole curve.

D

·
0 Posts
Just smoother power delivery. You're getting the engine pulling nearly all the way through the RPM band, whereas on the 600RR you can clearly feel the torque kick in at just after 7,000RPM and the bike turns into a rocket ship. The 675 has that more early on and doesn't drop off as quick as other bikes. It's more similar to the torque curve of a twin or big bang engine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think the new 675 dont look too bad, they have a unique sound and I love the headlights.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So how was the Bonneville?
The Bonne was GREAT!!! Handles well, Comfortable, The Arrow Exhaust sounds Mean (but $1k+ for slip on Really??)

Only complains was that when you do a clutch-less upshift like at 6k rpm, the bike kinda jumps forward. Idk why... Maybe it's not really intended for clutchless shifting??

I think I could do these rides with the Bonne...
http://www.sc-ma.com/california_parks_adventure.html
http://www.3flagsclassic.org/index.html
http://www.usa4corners.org/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts