Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I take off? Besides the obvious that is eliminated by race plastics or replaced (rearsets, rims...) Is there anything else that can be pulled, cut, etc. off that will drop weight. any other suggestions about building a race bike are appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah, it's an '05 600RR

·
Registered
904 Posts
Everything on the bike can be replaced with something that is lighter

What exactly do you have planned for it?

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Tear it down to frame and start getting rid of ever you don't need, I hope you have a fat wallet also! :icon_lol:

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
get race spec fairing brakets and subframe, thats the biggest weight saving i can think of that ive seen.
if you got loot, try to get a lighter swingarm.
Ti exhaust.
clip ons and triple can all be replaced with lighter items, lighter wheels, lighter rider ie. let me race it for you. i weight a buck forty. :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
You can pull the cooling fan, blinker switch housing and wiring harness, brake light and rear blinker wiring harnesses, kickstand, rear fender, etc. That's all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
quasi888 said:
So, where in Alaska does one race? :)

I'll second this "?"

It's not realy worth the money if you're only going to take it to Tanacross.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plans to move to the great city of phoenix have made this possible. I ran my street legal 03 at tanacross this season and fell in love.
I'd like to get into a racing circiut down there, but I understand that each one has a standard for whatever class you're running in. I don't want to do something that will possibly dq me.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Do your rules let you ditch the PAIR valve stuff and carbon can? Just remember to blank off the open pipe fittings left on the cambox and airbox if you do remove it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
if you're going to race check the rule book and see what is allowed in the classes that you will run.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I always take my race bikes down to the bare frame and rebuild them. This benefits you in several ways. a) you can leave off anything you don't need, and trust me on a Honda it'll be nearly 30 pounds of crap. b) you can clean, lube and torque everything to spec. and c) you will familiarize yourself with the bike so that when you need to do something quickly at the track you don't have to fumble around trying to figure it out.

You'll also be able to see things you may want to replace or redesign. If you're racing CCS there's very little you CAN'T remove. Their rules center around the motor mods mostly.

PS - Had I done this with my current bike I would have saved 5 useless track days because of very loose head bearings... better late than never.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What are the "NECESSARY" modifications to have a competitive machine? I'm talking about the things that I can't NOT do?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
To be honest, focus more on experience bu doing track days and race events. Cause just starting you are more likely to be the greatest limiting factor for going fast. Then as you get faster start replacing stuff that you feel is not up to par.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Wolley said:
To be honest, focus more on experience bu doing track days and race events. Cause just starting you are more likely to be the greatest limiting factor for going fast. Then as you get faster start replacing stuff that you feel is not up to par.
What he's saying is that the bike is only as good as the rider.

·
Registered
486 Posts
joshsss said:
What can I take off? Besides the obvious that is eliminated by race plastics or replaced (rearsets, rims...) Is there anything else that can be pulled, cut, etc. off that will drop weight. any other suggestions about building a race bike are appreciated.
My 05 no longer has an ignition switch or key..................

1 - 16 of 16 Posts