Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i go out for a ride today and guess what... my clutch cable snaps. good thing i was near home and able to carefully ride the bike home. what a pain in the ass, now i cant get one til tuesday and all this nice weather. anyway i'd love to hear some of your related stories

·
Registered
615 Posts
They're quite cheap to replace too. Around 20 ish for the cable/housing and nuts and whatever's on there.

But that would suck yes. How the hell would you get it going from a stop? Start pushing and jam it into first? :crackup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's classic haha. I own a '72 Triumph in addition to my RR and the clutch cable has broken twice.

First time was the original cable (38yrs old) and it was a similar situation to yours, very close to home.

The second time however, the replacement cable was fualty and snapped 30 miles from home. It was definitely a tough ride home. I milked every light, avoided as many hills as possible, and rolled through more stop signs than I am proud to admit. Had to stop 5 or 6 times. 3 times on slight up hills, those were tough to get yourself moving enough to kick it into gear.

The only thing worse was the time it got stuck in third gear and wouldnt shift out. If ever there was a time to be happy you were riding a bike with a ton of low end that was it.

I definitely feel your pain though, fortunately a '72 Triumph is extremely light and sits low to the ground. I honestly can't imagine going through all of that on my RR.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
This is one of my fears when riding.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wear and tear, a lil my fault as well. i had the lever set at a soft setting which might of stretched out the cable. it does suck, doesnt look like its too hard to install, am i wrong?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was riding my ninja 250 back in 07 and noticed the clutchesstarted to get squishy on my way to work. After work, I rode out to NJ(lived in PA at the time) to see my then GF and all the while the clutch continues to become less effective. On the way home that night, the clutch had no rebound spring to it anymore. It just sat there with no tension on it. I rode the 55 miles home at night without stopping once. Talk about an interesting experience.

After pulling the motor cover off when I got home, I discovered that the hex nut holding the entire clutch plate assembly together(against the springs) had worked loose leaving the in clutch engaged. I was still able to shift up failry easily but downshifting was kind of rough. Just had to tighten the nut back up and everything was working fine again. I did however notice that I wasnt the first person to have to do that. The motor was opened at one point for service by a poor technition.

·
Registered
615 Posts
wear and tear, a lil my fault as well. i had the lever set at a soft setting which might of stretched out the cable. it does suck, doesnt look like its too hard to install, am i wrong?
Well I had all my fairings off when I installed mine but it was very simple.. Might be a little harder with the fairings on cause you gotta fish it through.. but the install itself is simple. Took me like 10 mins to get it all adjusted and everything.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Pre-ride inspection. Get into the habit. If you ride everyday, check for leaks, weeps and seeps, takes less than 5 min. Tires everytime you ride. Everything else, once a week at least.

Could've been worse, glad it wasn't for your sake.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
same thing happened to me last year during a memorial ride with around 200 bikes. i was riding my uncles 95 ninja. we were on out way to the fourth stop and i was about 45 mins from my uncles house when it happened. had to wait for a guy i know to bring a trailer down so we could load it up and take it home.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Ahhhhh yea that sucks!! Had the same thing happen myself on my F4i back in 2006. Coming home from work on a saturday, getting off the highway and coming down the ramp, pull clutch in to downshift and....nothing there, lol. Pulled over and found it had frayed and broken right down by the clutch cover by the little bracket that holds it. I too had to ride about 8 miles 'in town' to get home. Downshifting to 1st gear with no clutch.... talk about a loud CLUNK!! Poor transmission, lol.... Good thing I had a strong battery too, hahah

Now here's something you may want to check out. After I replaced my cable, I got to looking at it to see why it had broken. What I found was the little bracket on the clutch cover that holds the cable, was bent ever so slightly, and the cable was coming out of the insulation part at an angle, causing it to rub on the little metal ring on the end of the insulation, causing it to fray and eventually break. I bent the bracket back (just a little bit was all it took) until the cable was perfectly centered coming out of the metal ring.... that was at 65k miles, now at 189k and still on the same clutch cable... never a prob since

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
install was a breeze, i only took the right mid off to get at the cable. there was a part that zipped tied the cable so i cut that and put a new one on after. what a difference a lubed clutch cable makes. i think from now on im gonna lube it. any tips on that?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
not sure what you mean, it looks normal when i pull the lever. anything in particular i should look for?
See my first post above.... check the little bracket that holds the clutch cable down by the cover, make sure it's holding the cable straight and the inside cable is pulling in straight and not at an angle. If it's pulling it at an angle it will rub and chafe, and eventually break again

·
Registered
50 Posts
Same thing happened to me soon after i got the bike. Happened down the street from my neighborhood. I put it in neutral and started it then started pushing and gave it a little gas and kicked it up into second then just didn't stop till i got it in front of the house. I went to pull the clutch in at the light and i heard it pop and was like damn it this is gay, but it wasn't bad except it happened on a Friday afternoon and the Honda dealership didn't have any cables in so i didn't get to ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts