Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At any speed, my 09 600 ABS model makes a "chaffing" sound like 2 small pieces of metal are rubbing together. The higher the speed, the faster the "rubbing sound". If I had to liken the sound to anything I've heard before, it would be like a small rock being dragged across a bumpy piece of foil. If this is a normal sound, I'll feel great but something tells me this is irregular. Just to add, I can't hear it unless I'm close to a car, curb, building, etc.

Thanks in advance.

- Andrew

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I am thinking maybe something rubbing on one of the rims, brake rotors?

Not really sure. I do know what you mean about when you hear it as I only hear the turbo in my car when near a curb/wall/other car. Makes me think that the sound is being generated down low on the bike.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it could be a heat sheld rattling
That could be very likely. I took the rear heat shield off when I installed the fender eliminator, but it's been making that noise since I bought it. I'll have the dealer check it out next week.

·
Registered
793 Posts
At any speed, my 09 600 ABS model makes a "chaffing" sound like 2 small pieces of metal are rubbing together. The higher the speed, the faster the "rubbing sound". If I had to liken the sound to anything I've heard before, it would be like a small rock being dragged across a bumpy piece of foil. If this is a normal sound, I'll feel great but something tells me this is irregular. Just to add, I can't hear it unless I'm close to a car, curb, building, etc.

Thanks in advance.

- Andrew
You gotta tell me what the heck you were doing when you heard that sound before... :toothy:

Can you pin it down to a particular area of the bike? Maybe ride by someone or have then run along side while you're going slow to maybe zero in on the general area.

You say the sound gets faster as you go faster - is it a perfectly linear relationship (you go 50 mph and the "sound is twice as fast" as when you're going 25 mph) or is it just that both get "faster".

I like both the heat shield and the brakes as candidates so far.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If it the sound happens more frequently when you go faster, it probably has something to do with your brakes. Are your brake pads rubbing up against your discs?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sounds like the first time I heard my chain while riding next to a highway barrier. I never heard it before, riding for years because I lived in the middle of nowhere and there was nothing for the sound to bounce off of. Just a thought... It is an odd sound if you've never noticed it before.

A

·
0 Posts
If it the sound happens more frequently when you go faster, it probably has something to do with your brakes. Are your brake pads rubbing up against your discs?

ding ding ding... i think this guy is right... sounds like the brake pad is rubbing on the rotar.... do you have a stand? if so out ur front tire in the air and spin, see if you hear anything.... but i think it is the front brakes...mine makes a noise...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We may have a winner - will take it over to my friends house and put it on a stand. Will report back with the results....after the torrential downpour stops.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have an ABS and same color to. The "chaffing" sound... I have heard it as well and it sounds like it comes from the front brake rotor. hrmmm...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Gonna post with this little grave dig too...

I hear it too :S It does sound like the brake pads rubbing on the rotors, but Ive heard it since day 1 riding off of the showroom...

Along with that, it sounds like a fan is between my legs 24/7 when I ride...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Gonna post with this little grave dig too...

I hear it too :S It does sound like the brake pads rubbing on the rotors, but Ive heard it since day 1 riding off of the showroom...

Along with that, it sounds like a fan is between my legs 24/7 when I ride...
LOL at the fan comment! Yep, I hear that to! Sounds like the bike is working really hard when it is really not! haha.

·
Registered
225 Posts
:+1::+1::+1: fer sure

Sounds like the first time I heard my chain while riding next to a highway barrier. I never heard it before, riding for years because I lived in the middle of nowhere and there was nothing for the sound to bounce off of. Just a thought... It is an odd sound if you've never noticed it before.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've tried using the front and back brakes while I'm hearing the noise - didn't work. I'll probably bring it in for service to have it checked out.

·
Registered
811 Posts
This noise is normal! It's been verified 100 times in this thread. If you go to the dealer, you can bet that they will find something to charge you for, but the noise will not go away!.............unless you want your pads to sit 4 inches away from the rotor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts