Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Here's the story.

After I bought my bike, I didn't plan on riding it for some time because I planned on working on it. So I didn't get insurance on the bike (why waste the money?). Anyways, now I just got this letter from the DMV saying that my registration is going to be suspended unless I get some insurance. My question is, what's the big deal if my registration is suspended? Does this mean I have to re-register it and pay registration fees again?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I am assuming you live in Cali. They recently passed a law which requires insurance companies to notify the DMV of your insurance. They know you have no insurance on your bike because they don't have evidence to the contrary. If you get your registration suspended, you're probably gonna have to pay extra fees to reinstate it. You should take the letter down to the DMV and pay the $10 to file a planned non operation. This way you can leave the bike sit and not get any penalties. When you take the PNO off, you have to pay registration again if it has become due during the time you had it on PNO.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
looks like you'll have to re-register and pay a fee once u are ready to ride the bike again. no problem at all if u are just modding the bike and letting it sit in the garage.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I think you can get some sor tof different registration that says basically, "Hey, I'm not gonna ride this thing for awhile." Then you may not have to pay insurance on it. You oughta call, or go to the DMV website.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Telling us where you live would help alot. Here in GA, if your registration is suspended, you can have it reinstated for $20. If you knowingly operate a vehicle that has a suspended registration, your tag can be siezed, you can be arrested, and your license can be suspended.

Hope that helps.

Hey guys,
Here's the story.

After I bought my bike, I didn't plan on riding it for some time because I planned on working on it. So I didn't get insurance on the bike (why waste the money?). Anyways, now I just got this letter from the DMV saying that my registration is going to be suspended unless I get some insurance. My question is, what's the big deal if my registration is suspended? Does this mean I have to re-register it and pay registration fees again?

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts