Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one of the unluckier ones who has problems with my bike not starting every once in a while. I try to keep the battery charged every week or so off the bike with a Battery Tender. But it seems like whenver I drive around town and the fan comes on frequently, when I stop for gas or something, the bike won't start unless it is bump started. I know the 04 model comes with a heat shield on the rectifier. My question is: has anyone who has had this problem corrected it it any way? Is it possible to relocate the rectifier away from the headers or fabricate some makeshift heatshield. I know you should keep the revs up and everything, but is there any sort of fix for the few bikes that have had this problem?

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
luv take it to the dealer man let the warranty from honda solve your problem

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
i think he has more problems than a heat sheild would resolve

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I haven't had the problem yet but I'm worried I may. A few times lately in the warmer weather and when I've been sitting in traffic; the bike sounds like it's having a little harder time starting after stopping for a few minutes somewhere. So far it's always fired right up, but the battery definitely seems to have less power after getting this hot. Hopefully I won't have any serious issues. But I would like to get the heat sheild and see if this helps at all.
Has anyone bought one from honda....or know how much it run? Also, where does it install at?

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
GA RR
AS of now all we got is a part number no price yet and it is not avaliable for sale yet too new from what i was told and as far its location it goes on
the back side of the rectifier surrounding it and basically keeps the heat generated from the headers away from the rectifier / regulator another point if you are running high beams at all times i would suggest that when you pull to a red llight shut the high beam off till you start moving again the fan takes a lot of battery juice when it is running FL is hot as GA so my motorcycle fan kicks in at 224F so basically evrey time i stop at a red light the fan is running so i turn off the high beam try this procedure may that will help you good luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had my first problem the other day as I was cruisin around S. Beach. I was stuck in traffic and the fans were going continuously. On top of that I WAS in the habit of running the high beams during the day b/c I don't like how the 1 headlight looks. I parked the bike on the curb and was getting off when a cop came by and told me to move. No dice, the bike was dead. :( That sucked. The weird part is that I let it sit for about half an hour and it it came back to life.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Sounds good....I really never use my high beam except at night. I guess at some point I should get a battery tender and use it once a month to make sure the battery is at full charge. From what I've read, our charging system(even when it's working right) doesn't really charge a drained battery but simply keeps it at the right level when a load it being put on it. moeman, when you find out something about that part being for sale, could you pm me or post up about it....I'll probably get it cause it can't hurt to have it on there. Honestly you'd think Honda would give us the part for free to help fix potential problems for us '03 owners.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Bikini Hunter said:
I had my first problem the other day as I was cruisin around S. Beach. I was stuck in traffic and the fans were going continuously. On top of that I WAS in the habit of running the high beams during the day b/c I don't like how the 1 headlight looks. I parked the bike on the curb and was getting off when a cop came by and told me to move. No dice, the bike was dead. :( That sucked. The weird part is that I let it sit for about half an hour and it it came back to life.
It's got to be a heat thing then more than anything else. Hopefully when we're able to get that shield it will resolve these types of problems.

L

·
0 Posts
i haven't heard a single 04 owner complaining of any charging problems.

moe is right, right now all we have is a part #. can't even order them because honda itself doesn't even have the 04 microfiche for the 600rr yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have an '03 and had the same problem. after 40 miles on the bike it started that crap. so i got a charger , fully charged it thinking that would fix it. it happend about 3 more times andi took it to the dealer. turns out it was a bad battery from the factory. the guy at the dealer said he got a lot of calls about the same thing.
new battery (under warranty) no problems since. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
I noticed this last weekend my bike had a harder time staying on (it dies at idle due to the power commander that I am getting changed this week) then it did when it was cooler out.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
luckydevil said:
i haven't heard a single 04 owner complaining of any charging problems.

moe is right, right now all we have is a part #. can't even order them because honda itself doesn't even have the 04 microfiche for the 600rr yet.
That's good news. You '04 owners keep us posted if you ever have this problem. If you guys don't, I guess we have to assume that the heat shield is the solution(unless some of us just got a bad battery). Or unless Honda changed something else we don't know about...I really hope that's not the case.
As far as I know, the only difference other than colors in the '04s is that heat shield, right?

·
Registered
391 Posts
You shouldn't need to be charging the battery if your riding the bike with any regularity. If you are having problems, let the dealer/warranty work it out for you. With very little effort, I had everything even remotely related to the problem replaced under warranty. Down time was less than 4 days. As far as the heat shield is concerned, call Tim or Rich at Discount Honda Parts 1-888-331-5679. If a part is made for the bike, they'll have it. And for those that haven't had any problems yet, you probably won't.

Ride and smile.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, I think I may be the resident expert on this issue. My bike has been in and out of the shop since last august for this problem and I have a few posts on the board if you search for them. The heat shield is available. one was put on my 03 two weeks ago but unfortunately it did not fix the problem. Along with the heat shield, the entire elctrical system was replaced including the CPU and a redisgned stator not available even on the 04's (i was told it will probably be standard on 05 models) and within 4 days my bike was dying in traffic and not starting as well. The dealer came and picked my bike up and I told them as far as I was concerned it was the last time I was seeing that bike, the lawyers will handle it from here. I put down a deposit on the first 1000rr they get in :bounce: . I hope no one else goes through what I have and I still love the bike and honda, i just got a bad apple.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have to believe its all in the approach you take with the dealer. I had everything replaced, I mean everything (stator, altenator, charging unit, reg rectifier, battery, etc) within 72 hours and it was never a problem again. I don't understand how you all are having the problems you are having. You have a warranty. Use it. Let American Honda know about your problems. Mike at A.H. was hugely instrumental in resolving mine. If you're not getting the treatment you expect from your dealer, find another one. I actually had all of my work done somewhere other than where I purchased the bike. DO NOT be confrontational or demanding or threatening. Be humble. Let the folks who you're working with know that you need them and appreciate their efforts. You'd be suprised what stroking their ego will do to the service managers attitude and the turn around time on a repair. Bring in a dozen donuts and some coffee for the service guys. BS with them a little. Attitude is like 99% of the equation here.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well I do agree with the Attitude thing. I have not gone into my dealer and been anything but polite but I am in no way afraid to speak my mind. My bike has been in the shop 6 times for the same problem! It has never made it more than a week before it started having the same problem again. I have used my warranty and I believe I could take the bike in 100 more times for the same problem and they will continue trying to fix it. The problem is, I dont have that kind of time on my hands. It's a 3 hour round trip to the shop for me which means each time I take it in that's six hours plux having to line up a ride both times. I'm happy that my situation has been very rare, meaning the problem has not been fixed with multiple attempts. There is no doubt that there are a few bikes out there that to this point honda has not been able to fix and mine is one of them. I'm not necessarily pissed at honda, but I do wish they would just own up to it and take the bike back. In the end it will be there loss because they will lose in court and it's going to cost them twice as much. maybe they will come to their senses when they get the litigation papers in the mail but to this point they won't even respond to my attorney. I'm looking at a 3-4 month process if it goess all the way to court but lucky for me the attorney's will handle everything and just let me know when it's finished. I've told the shop I bought it from that I in no way hold them responsible for what is going on and that I will be purchasing my next bike from them. The district Service manager in NorCal has been to look at my bike multiple times and they just can not figure it out, and I feel at this point it is their problem not mine. I will post updates.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My 04 has done this once. I was riding it around, then I parked it at a gas station. When I came back out, it turned over and started, but after 2 seconds, it died. I turned the ignition off, then back on to let the injectors spray alittle more fuel into the cylinders, then it started fine. It hasn't done it sinse.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts