Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 470 Posts

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Also think about the power a modern 600 super sport makes. My first bike for myself was a nighthawk 750, it had much less power and weighed about 250 lbs more than my 600rr. It maybe did 135 mph tops. The power to weight ratio is ridiculous on newer bikes. Older sport bikes from the late 70's and 80's are nothing like they are today.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My first bike was '01 Ninja 500r... and since my 600rr is currently under construction this week, I am riding the 500r for the time being.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My first bike was the little 250 Rebel they had at the MSF course, then I hopped on a 91 600 F2 and got my current 09 RR a year later. Hoping to get on my first dirt bike sometime Soon™ too!

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
my first ride was a 2001 Yamaha R1 ...

i wish i started right, that was too much.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There is a lot to be said about starting on something with too much power! The riders always run out of skill before the bike runs out of capability. New riders never see that part though. My favorite to hear is "I went into the turn, and just ran out of tire" To which I want to reply (and may depending on the situation) "No brother, you ran out of skill!"

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
i agree with everything in that article...... however my first bike is my 03 CBR 60rr. The only difference being i have a powercommander setting the ECM to its lowest.
I love my bike, after only a month i felt really confident and learned a TON about how to ride. I never feel like im just trying to "survive" even tho im riding a 600. Every day i ride i find something to work on and get better at. And because of that i feel like i have advanced and learned ALOT in just a few months. That being said, my first 3 weeks learning to ride were strictly mechanical learning and "seat time" going slow.

i believe that the statement "nobody should start on a 600cc supersport" is false in some cases. It all depends on your personality, maturity, willing to learn and most of all RespectforTheBike. I truely believe that if u get on a bike with the best intentions to learn to ride, get better and not to just survive and go fast that a 600cc (rr/ss) bike is not a terrible idea.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My First was a cbr250rr... But now i understand why ninjas went to v-twins
Really? I love riding the 250rr bikes. Sounds like you're doing the speed of light when you're actually at the speed limit. I rode my brother's 250rr the other day with my mate on a 1000rr, was a blast flicking through the hills ripping through the gears b/w 13 - 18,000rpm! q[>.<]p

·
Registered
126 Posts
My first bike was a Harley Davidson Road King Custom. Loved it. Wanted to get into sport so now I'm riding a 600RR. LOVE IT TOO. Take the class. Get seat time and do what you are comfortable with. I don't think it's good to make hard fast rules. Most guys should start on 250's tho. But the ones that need it the most usually don't. You can not teach common sense.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
145 Posts
First bike, '03 CBR bought used when I was 17. 3 years later, still no accidents, bike still runs great. I also initially spent the time, did the research, and bought my gear before I picked it up. Defensive driving and not riding like a squid go a long way, knock on wood.

21 - 40 of 470 Posts